View Single Post
Old 01-10-2002, 08:25 AM   #8
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Default Re: twin turbo 331 ????

Quote:
Originally posted by 429mustang
I'm gonna start building up a new motor in the next few weeks, It'll be probably a 331 with Turbo Driven Concepts Stage 2x twin turbo kit. I'm looking to get any advice and opinions I can get before I start buying. I'm looking to get around 600hp (thats on weekends with high boost, I won't be running full boost for daily driving), will a standard H.O. block hold up alright with a main stud girdle? Also, what are some good heads/intake setups. I was thinking about going with GT-40x or trick flow heads and a GT-40 or Cobra intake. I'm still not sure about the cam, I'll probably get a custom grind from Crane. Any info is appreciated.
First off to support that kind of hp with the stock block, even with the girdle, have it tuned by a professional or you'll be picking pieces up off the ground. With a 331 and twins 600 hp is easily reached. I'll give you an example of how much power a friend of mine made. He has the same kit as me except he has a 60-1 hifi instead of a T04, out of the box GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 30 lb injectors, 76 mm mass air, 70 mm tb, and a bigger fuel system. He made 411 rwhp with only 10 lbs of boost on pump gas through a hp robbing AOD. He's has and can run 20 lbs with race gas, although he's AOD didn't like the additioanl 10 lbs, if you get my meaning. I would feel safe in saying he would hit the 500 hp mark with the additional 10 lbs and race gas.

For your setup I would go with the trick flow heads or AFR 185's. For an intake I would lean toward a box style upper, I just don't think a GT40 and definately a Cobra will handle that kind of power. The stock cam and 1.7 rr are good for mid 10's, but since your spending the money for a 331 and twins, I would definately go with a custom cam.

Check out www.turbomustangs.com. We have links to all the turbo manufactures and as soon as the message board gets up and running, there are guys on there that know tons more than me.

Hope this helps.