View Single Post
Old 03-17-2002, 05:53 PM   #13
PKRWUD

Actually, a breakout box (BOB) is nothing more than a tool used by all vehicle manufacturers that allows you to take electrical measurements between any of the wires in the EEC system, without harming those wires. It installs between the ECM harness connector and the ECM, and has pins that represent each wire. Virtually all "proper" KOEO and KOER testing should be done with a BOB, but since very few private individuals own one, most Pep Boys repair books (Haynes, etc.) give you just the simplest tests for things like the TPS, etc. My OTC scan tool set me back $450 when new, and another $350 when I added the OBDII update PROM chip. The tester you have doesn't make any difference as far as a BOB is concerned. The tester gets you the codes, and the BOB makes it easier to follow the correct flowchart for diagnosing the source of each code. My scan tool has many very nice features that the $30 ones (or even the $350 ones) do not have, but it doesn't make any difference as far as using a BOB.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote