View Single Post
Old 05-03-2002, 06:36 PM   #1
stng87
Registered Member

Exclamation Rear End... Problems???

This is a really crappy. I noticed a leak from the diff this morning. It wasn't coming from the seal though, it was coming out of a pin-size hole in the inspection cover right behind where the the ring gear sits. SO I am thinking that the ging gear is for some reason hitting the inside of the cover. I thought that maybe the cap bolts on the carrier housing were loose and letting the carrier housing shoot back on accelleration and contact the cover. So I took it off and found that the gear was indeed hitting the cover and did cause the hole. In fact it looks like it has been doing so for a long time and evidently just recently finally made a tiny hole through the cover. but here's whats weird. The cap bolts are perfect and everything seems to be in order.
Now the gear IS a 4.10 so is a tad thicker, but even considering that, I have never heard of the carrier housing flexing enough to contact the stock cover... any suggestions?
1987 black with t-tops. Cobra intake, 1.7 cobra crane rollers, gt40p's, bbk shorties, off road h-pipe, Holley adj. fuel pressure regulator, Tremec t-5z, 65mm TB, 4.10's, adj cable, 155lph fuel pump, Ram clutch kit, 3 row motorsport radiator,
Chrome cobras17x9 front, 17x10.5 rear, Hurst shifter,Former AOD Semper Fi
stng87 is offline   Reply With Quote