View Single Post
Old 05-24-2001, 06:57 PM   #7
Unit 5302
Registered Member

It all depends on the years, basically. There are quite a few differences between models, and even differences within models back in the early/mid 80's.

The HO motor is exactly what it says though. High output. It makes significantly more hp than the standard version.

Quote:
Originally posted by smokedchevy:

Since your stang is an 84 you don't have mass air. I'd try to get a complete engine used with mass air and computer. That's why everyone is running so fast while attaining a good street car. The mass air and EECIV computer makes it possible. Speed density is o.k. with little bolt ons, but change the airflow like a small cam or such, the computer can't tell there's more airflow and the computer's tables are mixed up and the car is going to run crappy. Also your 84 engine does not have a roller cam. That is a big disadvantage. Try to rebuild an engine from 90-93. Make sure you research everything before you start buying.
MAF is not the reason the 5.0HO is quick. The MAF system will cost you 20hp vs a SD system stock for stock.

SD is capable of accepting cams, heads, intakes, and many other mods with tuning. If you have everything tuned and the fuel pressure adjusted correctly the car will run fine with a solid combo. 88workcar is running low 12's, 11's on NOS with his SD LX 5.0. His combo consists of a Cobra inake, E cam (had the B cam), Edelbrock aluminum heads, and some other goodies. The whole SD can't accept mods is some fairy tale. Some people have more problems with their SD cars than others, it's probably all in keeping the car tuned up, and making sure everything is put together right.

Why 1990-1993? 1988(CA), 1989(all) were MAF cars. They did a mild cam revision along with the addition of the MAF system, but it basically didn't change anything. The 1987-1992 engines are basically all the same. 1993 got cast hypereutic pistons instead of the forged units, and if I had a choice, I'd stick to the forged units.

[This message has been edited by Unit 5302 (edited 05-24-2001).]
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote