View Single Post
Old 11-26-2002, 12:32 AM   #8
MEDIK418
Registered Member

THere was an argument years ago and I suppose it still surfaces now and again that synthetic oil in an old engine would all of a sudden cause multitudes of oil leaks. The argument was perpetrated mostly by people who didn't want to spring for the expensive stuff in an old car and needed an excuse not to do so. I suppose if you had a leak it might get worse, the stuff does flow better but, I've never seen this and I am running it in an engine with 186,000 miles on it right now.

True, running synthetic now after lots of miles won't undo any damage that's already been done and by no means am I asserting that petroleum based oils will damage an engine, I simply mean mileage is mileage, more miles means more wear, no matter which oil you run. However, starting life anew with synthetic oil in an old engine certainly won't hurt anything and perhaps (and I believe it will) it will last even longer than it would have otherwise. I say go for it.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote