View Single Post
Old 11-26-2002, 01:16 PM   #11
Mach 1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 95mustanggt
COLD
I don't, but where I'm from a lot of people do. In moy opinion, a good synthetic 5 weight is good enough for most of Southern Canada and the USA. People startedt o switch over to 0 weight oil once the temperature dropped below -30 to -35 degrees C. And even then, I found a good synthetic 5 weight was decent until that temperature. When you daily "high" (that's when the sun comes out and is beating down on you) only hits -35 or -40 you should switch.
My trucks owner manual calls for 10w-30 or 5w-30 when very cold, as most cars today recommend the same weight oil.

However, my truck has a TSB (technical service bullutin) issued by the manufacture for a "valve train noise" problem caused by overhead cam engine and hydraulic valve lifters getting air stuck in them and not bleeding out properly or quick enough after startup.

The TSB says to use "mobil 1 0w-30" even though the manual calls for 10w-30, and that it still provides all the protection needed as 10w-30 with the additional benefits of faster flow when the engine is cold.

food for thought, as cold start up wear is the major cause of engine wear.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote