View Single Post
Old 09-25-2003, 09:51 PM   #6
kirkdickinson
Registered Member

Well, I guess I don't have to worry about the intake or the heads. Turns out that the motor that the "Reputible junkyard" said was a 351W isn't. Or at least I am pretty sure it isn't.

After spending 8 hours cleaning and prepping and painting the motor, I found that the new oil pump (for a 351W) had a bigger hole than the shaft to turn it and won't work. Then the oil pan gasket is just a little off. I got to thinking that I remembered hearing that the firing order for a 351W is different than a 289. The supposed 351W has the same firing order as my old 289.

I don't know much about engines and the guy helping me is not a ford guy. He is took the serial number home tonight to look it up, but I am pretty sure that I have a 302 instead of a 351W.

The old 289 has two broken pistons. The skirts are broken off and the pan was full of all kinds of parts. The valve spring retainer and spring are broken over one of the broken pistons. Don't know what happened, but the block is probably a goner. It is already bored .30 over.

Kirk
kirkdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote