View Single Post
Old 11-01-2003, 08:40 AM   #61
jaxter1
Registered Member

...some misconceptions to clear up....any 5sp will have better ratios, should handle more power stock, delivers more RWHP due to lack of power-sucking converter, moving parts, etc. and will be lighter. Not to mention, of course, much more reliable (if you know how to clutch) modulating of wheelspin both in a straight line, and more importantly, on any turn, esp with RWD cars. It's a no-brainer. More power, more control, less weight. Any fool that can halfway-decently drive a stick will always be faster and quicker than an auto, period. Double-clutching, powershifting, ball-and-toe rt footedness are just more advantages. Autos were made for women and 1000HP machines, aside from that, they're wasteful. Oh, just to repeat...ratios....makes a big difference in flat-out racing, ask anyone about 3rd gear at hwy speeds. Also, shift kits are nice, but they usually kill your univ joints and rearend. That nice "bang" has repercussions......and like several have said, takes a long while to learn a stick well, even to get used to the feel of a new one. Overall, that's the reason Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Lancia and Porsche stuck to what obviously worked best. Sure, they all dabbled in autos...and they were the worse mistakes.....just look at 'traction control', that's the best 'tech' I have for wheelspin....I can do better w/o it in my 'stang more often than not so far.
jaxter1 is offline   Reply With Quote