View Single Post
Old 08-06-2004, 12:21 PM   #15
95Convert
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 420nitro
Ok....so it starts or cranks everytime when the car is cold and gives you a hard time when the engine has been warmed over?....
If so then most likely you have an issue with a loose or insuffient ground.

If it gives you the same problem no matter if it is cold or hot then you have an issue with one of your new parts...most likely your soliniod or starter.
No, it does it when cold. Heat has nothing to do with when it will turn over or just "click".

Quote:
What size guage wires do you have from the battery to the solniod and then to the starter? How about what size wire for your grounds? Battery to chassis and engine to chassis?
I am using 2AWG for the battery-to-solenoid, solenoid-to-starter and chassis ground. I do not have an engine to chassis ground.

Quote:
P.S
Just because the starter works off the car, doesn't mean it's good. Must check to see how much the amp draw is. I have seen starters needing 250-300+ amps to work on bad Ford starters when all they supposed use is 150-200. If the starter draws more then suppose to then it's ..bad!
It isn't a Ford or even an AutoZone starter. It is a PowerMaster racing starter designed to turn 12.1 compression motors. It only draws about 120 amps.

Keep it up, I appreciate the assistance.