View Single Post
Old 10-14-2004, 07:25 AM   #10
crazypete
Registered Member

I was trying to turn the vacuum secondary into a double pumper. Good call on the choke linkage port! I was wondering why the carb wasnt squeeky clean on top. I guess it was getting some dirt in there. Even worse, the pcv tube would occasionally belch some oil into the carb before I removed it.

Even though I've done the paper clip trick, I'm never quite convinced that the secondaries are actually opening so I picked up a holley 0-80540-1 off ebay and it's in excellent condition. It's a "true" double pumper and the progressive secondaries look like they wont open before maybe 60%. Plus I think the 670 was too big so this DP is a 600. Only problem is that someone drilled holes in the butterflies...I assume for some overcammed engine. I'll see if this runs at all....dont I just need to back out the idle screws to compensate for the extra air?

Now, the original holley is reserved for the eventual emissions test or if the 600 DP turns out to be too much of a guzzler. I'm having quite a time trying to clean the carb. I've soaked it in gas, laquer thinner, boiled in silver polish, boiled it in soap+fast-orange+water and, alas, when it dries, it looks like it's covered in white stuff that looks like mold if I didnt know any better. What is the definitive way to clean a carb? This is the 2 metering blocks, base and body minus all small parts.

Thanks!
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote