View Single Post
Old 01-13-2005, 11:47 AM   #15
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Default Re: Seatbelt Laws...

Wow, talk about getting on the bad side of the "irony fairy".
I'm not trying to sound crass, I do respect that he was willing to stake his life on principal, even if it cut short his possible future contributions to society, not to mention the pain to his loved ones. Hopefully this stand was based on his beliefs more than the notion that "it wont happen to me."
I wear my seatbelt habitually. I freely admit that originally it was for fear of getting a ticket, not out of any belief that anything like that might happen to me. Thus is youth.
Since, I have learned that, yes it can. Consequently, I wear the belt (and would, even if all the laws were repealed today), not to mention that my driving habits have changed greatly.
I think that ultimatly, each person should be responsible for their behavior large and small. You choose not to wear a belt, fine, but you will pay more in insurance than someone who does. ( in a perfect world where everyones honest )
Same goes for helmet laws, you couldnt get me onto a bike without a helmet and leathers. But if you dont want to, fine, just dont cry later. (BTW, I once *watched* a guy lay a nice Harley over at speed trying to make a gravel u-turn, I stopped to help, and he had a nice "Barney purple" bruise on the top of his shoulder and gravel buried in his helmet. Had he chosen to ride helmetless, which is legal in Fl, His skull would have been spread over like 8ft of dirt.)
Sorry, end digression,
Anyway, In principal, I believe seat belt laws are an intrusion, and people should have an option, even if it costs them more. But in the practical world, occasionally there are others that might know more, or at least, can keep you alive long enough to let you make an informed decision.
As to the premiums queston though, I would daresay that the "payout" factor is not nearly as crippiling as it is made out to be, they are running a buisness, and if they can increase the amount you pay, due to honest inflation, they will add something, to keep the profit margin growing. I'm 29, have never had an accident, last ticket was like 4-5 years ago, for rolling through a stopsign, and I pay nearly 200 a month. But my credit is not great, so thats an excuse to jack the rates [Oh, wait, wrong rant, sorry]
Anyway, as far as "seatbelt checkpoints" etc, yes its basically a somewhat plausable excuse to set up a checkpoint to look for other reasons. The commercials are an even bigger waste of money, But I have to wonder, do insurance companies contribute to the funds for them, and if so do they get somekind of break for their "assistance"?

Anyway, all things considered, it DID get me in the habit of wearing it, and I would now, if I had the choice, but I wish it had been my parents to teach me to do it.

Apoligies for the lenght and tone, I'm in a cynical mood
J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote