View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 03:38 PM   #1
MLMike25
Registered Member

Default What's the stupidest thing you've done in your car?

Does your stupid story top this???

I had to get this off my chest. I didn't want to tell my wife b/c she was in the car with me when I spun out just a week before this incident and she's been telling me that I've become more of an "aggressive driver" lately.

One day last week, I'm driving down a 2 lane street (1 lane going in each direction), i'm doing about 45. About 50-60 yards down the street I see an old guy in a clunker hooptie truck turning SLOWLY into my lane (from a cross street). So, b/c I decided that I didn't want to slow down to like 20 mph, I peeked into the oncoming lane, saw no cars coming, and decided to accelerate around him using the oncoming lane.

Well as soon as I cross into lane for oncoming traffic, pops decides to put on his blinker and make a LEFT TURN at the next cross street! I had no choice but to either slam into his driver door or swerve left onto the corner/sidewalk.

I chose the sidewalk.

Luckily for me, the corner that I was about to ramp up was one of those wheelchair-friendly curbs (in other words, it wasn't a high curb that would've destroyed my suspension) ... and there were no people or poles there that I could've hit.

So my car finally stopped up on an empty grassy lot (no house there). I got out, checked my car and saw NO damage whatsoever. I hopped in and got the hell outta there.

Needless to say, I was pretty mentally shaken after that. I kept thinking about how lucky I was that I didn't hit that guy, or that I didn't ruin my car going up on to the sidewalk, or that I didn't hit a pole, or worse yet, a person! My stupid ass could be in jail on manslaughter charges if I'd killed someone.

I even thought about selling my car b/c I didn't want to be tempted to drive like a jackass again. It was at least 2-3 days before I got over the whole incident.

Needless to say, I've learned my lesson. And its not that I don't speed anymore, I just don't do it in stupid places anymore.

I hope someone here can learn the lesson without having to go through anything close to that.