View Single Post
Old 07-03-2005, 03:00 PM   #10
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Default Re: What's the stupidest thing you've done in your car?

Well, I guess my crowning dumb**s moment was back when I had my '79. The car had semi bald tires on the front, and an old set of firestone steamrollers (for that rim, they were like 235's) on the back.
Coming down 275, I hit the 60 exit, (it had been raining out, and I had been practicing drifting the car over the lat few months). I decided in a moment of rebellion, that I wanted to "slide" into the merge lane.
Unfortunatly, the rear broke loose more than I wanted, and as I slid into the merge, all I could see in my head was an 18 wheeler ready to plow me. The rear slid about 90 degrees to the left, with me countersteering the whole way, then suddenly got traction on the front, and slung her back 270 degrees, finally smacking the RR end into the divider. I hit hard enough to shatter the fan shroud, bend the shifter linkage (which I was holding onto), and rip the RH side seat rail from the floor. (Making an instant "rocking chair" )
A guy driving a white camaro stopped to make sure I was ok, then a TPD officer stopped, and helped me push her off the road. He gave me the chioce of making a report, and having my insurnce skyrocket, or "take care of it myself".
1 guess which option I chose
Next day, I came back and got her, and drove her (after figuring out the linkage was bent, keeping her from hitting PARK), sans bumper and with a nasty crack all along the roofline for like 9 mos.

All considered, I learned to respect both the elements, and how squirrely a stang can get in adverse conditions. Between that, and a few other incidents, I think I've become the worlds most defensive driver
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote