Thread: FireRed86GT
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2005, 04:46 PM   #1
Karenlew
Registered Member

Default FireRed86GT

Almost 20 years ago, I talked my little ole mom into buying a 1986 Jalopina Red Mustang Convertible with Oxford White Leather Interior instead of a Labaron. I had a vision. I named her FireRed cause she was fast and very red. Kinda like fire going down the road. Nothing was ever changed on this car to make it faster, or better than it was, it was already really good. Well my mom drove it and garaged it until her demise in 2000, and then I got the car. I gave her to my, then 16, year old son, (another vision) whom had no clue what he was given, and she proceeded to deteriorate somewhat...people picked things off of her like she was orange tree, and finally exhausted the young man brought the car back to me and said, "I can not take care of her" so, I put FireRed in my yard and there she has sat for 4 years. About 4 weeks ago my husband (who hates the car in the yard) brings this guy over (he was driving a souped up Volvo ) and he started to walk around my car and tell me it was worth nothing and he wanted to take her and paint her green, ( oh my god that clinched it for him forever, not that he had a moment in hell chance of getting that car anyway) and give her to his sister. Ok I thought this is it, it is time to make my vision a reality, I will restore her to her original and give her back to my son (now 22). So I hopped on the internet and went to the Ford Parts.com site, and ordered everything I needed for the car, and was a happy camper thinking everything would arrive at once and I could go out screw everything back together and there it would be, all nice and new. Then ford sent me a message that everything I ordered and everything I would ever need was discountinued in 1990, ok that was a while ago. How nieve I thought I was, unhuh this is what this restore stuff is all about. So now I have really been on a journey, junk yards, e-bay, rip-offs, hurry up and wait and still pretty nieve. Although, I am a bound and determined woman and this will get done. I have no one really to help, a few mustang guys I have met with like have 4 or 10 old mustangs in their yards and mechanics who say ok for about $70 an hour we can help you, as I say no thanks. I still have a vision and FireRed will ride again.
Karenlew is offline   Reply With Quote