View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 11:45 AM   #18
MEDIK418
Registered Member

Default Re: need help deciding

Although I wasn't fortunate enough to find it on any land I won. . .wait a minute, I did actually. Anyway, I went with a 351C in my 86 LX. I had a truckload of Cleveland parts laying around and had done it with the youngest son's car so I built one for mine, (midlife crisis thing)
I would do it again but these guys are right. It's a pain in the butt. Almost everything you do with the swap has to be modified or invented. If you're looking at an easy swap, the Windsor is the better bet. If you're looking for a unique sound like no Windsor on the planet. . go with the Cleveland.
One thing to keep in mind. I spent nearly 8 grand building this thing and for that, you can make a killer 351-W. Mine should put out around 380-400 horses (and it feels like it will) without NOS, 500 with. Had I spent an equal amount on a Windsor, there would have been a blower, stroker hit and I'm guessing around 6-700 horses out of that.
I know that's a stretch for someone just wanting to swap but it illustrates the point that dollar for dollar, the Windsor would give you more bang for the buck.

That said, I still love this cleveland thing.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.

Last edited by MEDIK418; 11-11-2005 at 12:05 PM..
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote