View Single Post
Old 02-01-2006, 06:41 AM   #9
Aaeros
Registered Member

Default Re: 95 Mustang GT - Starting Problems

Well, I am starting a new job soon that isn't just 5 mins from the house. So I decided have my mustang towed to Domestic Auto Experts which is only a few miles from here.

After their first diagnosis, they told me I wasn't getting enough or any fuel pressure. Hmm. Ok.. They replaced fuel pump, filter, some relay thing.

Get a call back. Well, we are seeing a weak spark. Which is what I originally thought the problem was. Not weak, but none. They say my Ignition Controll Module is bad (ICM). Ok, I already told them I've replaced it twice, and the one I have has a lifetime warrenty. Well, they need to replace it with the Motorcraft one to continue diagnosis. ($150 vs $60 I spent). Guess what, the new one they put in got blown. So they do the warranty exchange on the one I bought and they were able to continue with the work.

Now they say that the ground wire for the Multi Function Control Module (MFCM) is shorting out and has a bad ground. They can only get the part from FORD ($182). Ok. Atleast it sounds like they have found the root cause.

Well, I drive it about 50 miles and it dies on me for a few seconds driving through an intersection. So I take it back. 2 days and they can't locate the problem. I picked the car up yesterday morning. Drove to work. Drove home at lunch. Then to Post office, went in so car was turned off, then back to work. Car seems to be running really good. Better than when I picked it up the first time. After work I went to store and when I get back in the car, it wont start again. Same symptoms as before. It will crank, but no fire. I suspect I dont have a spark.

The only labor they charged me was for the fuel pump replacement. Which was about $250 or so in labor. Since then, they have been replacing parts without any labor costs. I think the service guy knows he screwed up when they thought the fuel pump was the problem, and it could very well have been the MFCM. But the fact is, $750 later, my car had to be towed and still has the same damn problem.
Aaeros is offline   Reply With Quote