View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 09:49 PM   #73
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

Default Re: Suspension upgrade Qs for '65 coupe

I don't know if the joint finally had enough, or if I found a secret magical method to separate it. Anyway, I had the spindle hanging from the upper arm while connected to the steering, and I disconnected the lower arm from the car again. I decided to rip apart the rubber sleeve around the joint in preparation to cut the bolt in half. However, before that, I decided that since I'm going to destroy the bolt anyway, I might as well make one last attempt to knock the bolt down by hitting it from the top (normally a no-no). I didn't have to worry about the bolt mushrooming now, you see.

This time, I folded up a greasy rag and placed it on top of the bolt to soften the blows, and got ready to beat the living crap out of it. I warmed up by first giving it a few light whacks. 1, 2, 3, the 3rd one wasn't even full force, maybe half. To my surprise, the arm dropped to the floor.

I'm not sure, but I think I might be the proud owner of a magic shop rag. I'll find out for sure tomorrow, when I try the rag first thing on the passenger side arm. If it comes off easy, the rag has magic powers. If it takes forever like the driver's side arm, then it's just a plain 'ol rag.

Moral of this story: Don't listen to anyone. Go ahead and hit that mother-*&%$in' bolt directly from above! The lower arms aren't rebuildable, anyway.

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/deltamustang65/

If Nissan Motorsports = NISMO, wouldn't Honda Motorsports = HOMO?
DeltaMustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote