View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

Default Steering Rebuild Qs for '65 Coupe

I'm planning on rebuilding the steering, and I've got a few questions before I start.

Do I need anything fancy like those $1.5K+ rack and pinion conversion kits for a car that is only going to see track use once in awhile, and even then I'm only planning to build the engine up to 300-350 max hp/trq?

Mustangs Plus*::*Steering*::*Steering Rebuild Kits*::*1965-66 V8 Grab-A-TrakŪ Make-It-New Power Steering Rebuild Kit

I was thinking of going with this, since I can't seem to find bushing and sleeve sets. I honestly can't tell what's worn, other than those. It's my first time doing this, so I don't quite know what to look for other than stuff being bent etc, and everything down there is a plain mess.

Mustangs Plus*::*Steering*::*Power Steering Rams*::*1966-69 Power Steering Ram

If I'm to replace the ram, I guess I'd go with this. My current ram was rebuilt a few years ago (the car was only driven 1 of those years) but the guy that did my alignment said it looks like there was a power steering fluid leak somewhere. Probably a hose, but who knows.

Are there any other parts I should be replacing/adjusting while I'm doing this?

Any pointers would be appreciated. Like I said, it's my first time messing with the steering. Is this something I can do myself, if I was able to rebuild my suspension myself? It definitely needs some TLC, but I don't want to screw something up in the process.

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/deltamustang65/

If Nissan Motorsports = NISMO, wouldn't Honda Motorsports = HOMO?
DeltaMustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote