Thread: Overheating
View Single Post
Old 04-22-1999, 11:05 PM   #5
Kcode351
Registered Member

Your thermostat is made to keep your engine at optimum running temp. Its kind of like the choke you can run without it, but you run rough when the engine is cold and will take a lot longer to warm up. I live in Texas where summer heat is a big issue. It's just my opinion, but I think my car and truck do their best with a high volume low temp thermostat. I see no reason to hold my engine all the way up to 185-190 during normal running conditions and climb from that point when the engine is under load. I use a 160 degre thermostat in my truck. I found it at AUTOZONE. It was cheap and easy to mess with. I'm sure you already flushed your system, but if you have a awsome cooling system with a new thermostat thats still full of hot water, then look for ways to lower oil temp. A oil cooler can do a lot keep engine temp down. It is also cheaper than a new griffin. The other thought I had is if you have long tube headers wrap them. Long tubes throw a lot of heat under your hood. The wrap realy helps, but the headers tend to rust slightly sooner, and the wrap will viod their waranty. Personaly I am willing to do it to improve the dependability of my vehicle.
Kcode351 is offline   Reply With Quote