View Single Post
Old 06-28-1999, 05:50 AM   #3
66fastback
Registered Member

I posted this once already, but it got wiped...so here's the short version.

Let me start by saying that medik's advice is right on. You MUST start out with an honest appraisal of the car's intended use. The intended operating rpm will decide most of your course for you.

Let me ammend what medik said right here. There are two kinds of engines that you can build...one with stock heads, and one with aftermarket heads. If you plan on staying with the stock heads, then you had better plan on staying under 5500 rpm. You must select the rest of your parts accordingly. A dual plane intake manifold, 600 cfm carb, 1-5/8" headers, and a mild camshaft--less than 225 degrees at .05 lift.

Follow that recipe and you'll have matching parts that work together and make the most power with the stock heads.

If you intend on building a real screamer....then you'll need to upgrade to bigger parts throughout, and purchase some killer heads. At this point, you have to match your components to whatever rpm range your trying to reach. Be aware that the further you try to push the engine past 6000 rpm, the more $$$$ you must dish out in an effort to hold it together.

Regardless of what kind of engine you are trying to build, the point here that we are both trying to make is MATCH YOUR PARTS. Don't try to build a high rpm screamer with stock heads, or a 4500 rpm torque monster with a single-plane intake and 750 cfm double -pumper. You will have parts that don't work well together and you wind up with a dog.

And don't forget to add rear gears to the car. Even a stock engine will respond well to a set of gears. If your building for a torque type engine ( fun to drive daily ) get some 3.50's or 3.73's. If you intend to do the high rpm theatrics ( bracket racer ), you'll probably need some 4.11's or 4.30's.

If your strapped for cash, then don't even consider building for a lot of rpm's. Build the more streetable torque style engine. don't forget to include a good timing chain set and oil pump in your budget. A lot of first timers don't realize that if you change the cam, your gonna be paying for new lifters and springs also.

For what it's worth...I would start with the rear gears, they give you a good kick right off the bat, no other mods needed. The ignition would be good next. Then exhaust, intake/carb and cam at one time. Easier to do the cam when you already have the engine part way torn down.

[This message has been edited by 66fastback (edited 06-28-1999).]
66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote