View Single Post
Old 08-04-1999, 08:22 PM   #4
David Gagnard
Registered Member

Red;

The reason I went to a Griffin is that they were the least expensive ($159.99 any size) and I ride a lot in parades and with the 350 hp 351-W it would run at 230 degrees after about 20 minutes of idling on the forth of July. Most of the parades last 40-60 minutes and that was just too much. By going with an aluminum you can get whatever size you want. Mine has a 26.5 inch wide core. I think the original one was 17 inches wide. I did enlarge the opening in the radiator support to accomodate this radiator also. I'm running an electric fan I got from a local body shop that came out of a Caddy that had one of the three mounting ears broken. They hated to throw it away just for that and saved it in case someone like me needed it. I repaired it and it works terrific. It is 17 inches in diameter. I also have a 12 inch pusher mounted in the front to help it out. Now in parades it usually doesn't get beyound 200 which I can live with. At speeds above 40 mph I do not even turn the fans on and it will run 175-180 no matter the outside temp. I only turn them on in city driving. I also run a 180 thermostat. I tried a new three core stock radiator first and it did not do well and incidently cost more than the Griffin.
PS- Hope you liked the pictures of my car.
PSS-I've been told the electric fan setup from the 95 Mustang GT's can't be beat and is really good if it will fit your radiator. The only reason I didn't use one is I couldn't find one in the junk yard.
David

[This message has been edited by David Gagnard (edited 08-04-1999).]
David Gagnard is offline   Reply With Quote