View Single Post
Old 01-04-2001, 10:27 AM   #7
90LSC
Registered Member

You may get a few posts saying "Go ahead, flush it. I've never had any problems." or "I use motor flush every oil change(or every other etc)." Those guys have been lucky

I would suggest using engine flushes only in extreme cases where you KNOW the engine is gummed up cause you pulled the valve cover, or you have a lifter ticking/knocking and the flush is the last chance before tearing the engine down.

Flushes are actually strong solvents that run through the engine and dissolve gunk, carbon deposits, wax deposits, etc. This also means that your oil is drastically thinned during that 20-30 minutes of flush time. That means ALL moving parts are not properly lubed while flushing.

My advice is to leave well enough alone, unless you KNOW that your engine is gunked up. I will assume, since you post here, that you change your oil like you should. Which means you do not need an engine flush. If, however, you still feel the need to run a flush through, let the car idle. DO NOT rev it up while the stuff is doing it's job. That way you don't put stress on the bearings while the oil is thinned.

Your call, this is just my advice.Later
90LSC is offline   Reply With Quote