View Single Post
Old 06-08-2001, 11:50 PM   #11
TruBluStanger
Registered Member

Lightbulb

I you want to find out exactly what that noise is just check out " F150online.com ". The F-150's & Expeditions have the same problem in the 5.4's & 4.6's. It's a piston slap problem and as of now there is no solution. Some people say that it's a certain oil or oil filter that clears the problem up but it doesn't work for everybody.

I owned a 99' F-150 w/5.4 and I heard that noise every morning. It usually lasted anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. It got real noisy in the winter which in Knoxville isn't that cold. It sometimes sounded like a diesel engine and I would have to go smell my exhaust to make sure someone didn't swap my engine in the middle of the night.
Then I got a 2000 Expedition w/ 4.6 V8 and it did the same thing. Of course Ford Denies it and it never happened when I pulled up to the service bay because the engine was already to hot. I spoke to alot of people who had the same problem and who had 1000's of miles on their vehicles and it never caused any problems. So I let it go. I now have a 2001 GT and haven't heard it yet and with the extended warranty, I don't really care.

------------------
2001 Mustang GT
True Blue
All The Trimmings
Stock(for now)
TruBluStanger is offline   Reply With Quote