MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-14-2004, 07:13 AM   #1
RMARIANI
Registered Member

Question Out of storage

My 89GT has been in storage for about 2 1/2 years. Yesterday, I got her out. The tray in the fuel tank that protects the pump had broken loose ( I could hear it banging when I hit a bump), so I bought a new tank, pump, sending unit, etc and replaced all that first. Then I changed the oil and hooked up a new battery. It turned over, but didn't start at first. Then it just about started and had to go inside for something. When I got back, it would only "click" and not even turn over. Some possible ideas I have are that the alarm kill switch got activated - I need a new battery for my remote. The other thing is that the battery terminals were rusty, so I couldn't tighten them down, they are just sort of "snugged" on. Today I'm getting the remote battery and two new terminals. Any other ideas? Oh, I doubt very much that I drained the battery on the first few tries. Everything works and the gauge is reading 12 volts. Thanks!
RMARIANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 09:10 AM   #2
PKRWUD

The gauge will read 12 volts if you run 8 AAA batteries in series, but it won't start the engine. If you have a charger, you should put the battery on it for a while, just to make sure it's fully charged. You need to clean the posts on the battery, and make sure the new clamps are tight. When you try and start it, if it doesn't crank over, and just clicks, turn the headlights on and see what happens to them when you try and start it. If they get real dim when you try to start it, the battery isn't charged. If they remain bright, try cleaning the terminals on the solenoid. If they go out, and stay out, double check the connections at both ends of the battery cables.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:10 AM   #3
White GT
Registered Member

Complete tune up is required plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

The kill switch can be disable if you have a valet switch or simply disable the alarm system (12V power).

Just read the relay to see how it's hooked.

Do you have pics of the engine bay?

My GT

My Web Page

On Car domain
White GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 07:51 AM   #4
RMARIANI
Registered Member

No, I don't have any pictures of the engine bay. But thanks for the replies and the advice. I bought new battery cable connectors and will try to get it started tonight. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again!
RMARIANI is offline   Reply With Quote