MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-25-1999, 05:57 PM   #1
napajim
Registered Member

Talking 1965 with a 302 A.O.D

I recently bought a '65 07T. It was Previously hacked beyond recognition, my son and I decided to do complete change over. Being an auto painter for close to 30 years now, the exterior will be a piece of cake. What I really need is some information (books, magazine articles, E-mailings etc.), on how to install a engine and trans. out of a totaled '89 Crown Vic. wagon. It is a 5.0L efi with AOD. We saved as much of the wiring harness and all underhood gadgets etc. I guess we'll need motor mounts and stuff like that. If you can help, please do! Thanks Jim
napajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-1999, 04:10 AM   #2
66fastback
Registered Member

I can't speak from experience on the AOD, but I can say that actually dropping the engine in will be a piece of cake. You just need a good set of 289 engine mounts. I will assume that all that is needed to fit the AOD is a new crossmember.

Hooking everything up is going to be another matter. The radiator will have to be changed or modified for the lower hose on the drivers side--again I am assuming you are going to run the engine with all the late model trimmings, like the serpentine belt. If you plan on using the old style pulley set, you will find that the harmonic damper has changed to four bolts. You will also have to use the old style water pump if you use the old pulleys--the new pumps are reverse rotation for the serpentine belts.

Wiring in the fuel injection is not that difficult. Ford even sells a booklet for about $5 that would really help. To me, trying to modify the fuel system is more difficult. A return line must be plumbed, and you have to use a high pressure pump. You might contact Windsor-Fox, they deal with this swap a great deal.

You will also need to have bungs in the exhaust for the oxygen sensors....which I believe are cast in to the stock cast iron manifolds for that engine, if you got the manifolds with it.

I am sure that I have overlooked several small details, such as the shock tower to cowl braces needing some modification to clear the EFI intake.....

I'm not sure of where the website is, but I recall some BRONCO site that had an excellent article on the conversion to the new engine. Take your time, and everything will eventually sort out.
66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-1999, 11:27 AM   #3
Neal Jackson
Registered Member

Jim,

As 66fastback says, the front end of the engine can get a bit challenging to align pulleys if you plan to retain the stock 65 radiator with the passenger side lower hose.

It is virtually impossible to find Ford pulleys for the 4 bolt harmonic balancer on the 302 that will align with the older style water pump pulley. It can be done (I did it with our car, after about a month of searching and then removing the front V groove off the lower pulley since we only needed one V groove) and if this is the way you decide to go I'd recommend getting in touch with March Performance in Michigan (website at www.marchperf.com, I believe) as they have the perfect underdrive V groove (1, 2 or 3 grooves) for this combination of old and new, cost is about $230.00 for a billet aluminum set.

If you go this route you will probably end up needing to change the timing chain cover (which will possibly cause a relocation of the timing pointer (not fun)), the water pump, pulleys, belts and a few more things if you keep the accessories such as smog, A/C, power steering, if applicable, etc.

Or, you can just stay with the stock 302 stuff and go for a different radiator, which, when you start adding things up, is probably the most feasible way to go, from all aspects. With a new radiator you will also get diagonally mounted hose connections, which, some folks feel provides for better cooling and flow within the radiator, as opposed to having both hose connections on the same passengers side on the upflow radiator. You can also enlarge the radiator at the same time, to add to the cooling capabilities.

I believe the tranny mount crossmember will be the only item needed, other than perhaps some driveshaft work, for that end of the application (not sure, but the front driveshaft yoke may differ also).

I think you'll have far less headaches and less $100.00 surprises if you can put the engine in as is and change out the radiator - that's what I'd do.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Neal

[This message has been edited by Neal Jackson (edited 07-26-1999).]
Neal Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-1999, 03:39 PM   #4
Dave1
Registered Member

I recently installed an AOD in my 68. The crossmember needs work, floor shift linkage adapted and cooler lines. The driveshaft will have to be shortened too. The hard part is the TV cable, if you have factory EFI no sweat, but don't forget it. Makes the car very drivable.
Dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-1999, 04:37 PM   #5
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Mustang and Fords did this exact conversion in the october 98 issue. It might be helpful.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote