MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
strike300
Registered Member

Default 1966 Questions

I just bought my wife a 1966 Mustang. It's in good condition and the 6 cyl. engine was recently rebuilt. It runs like a new car.

I have a few questions though. From the records the previous owner had, the car has never been registered outside of this county...the original owner who bought it new still lives here. It shows 91000 miles on the odometer and judging from the condition of the car, I'd guess that's correct.

It has what appears to be the original pony interior. I"m saying that because it doesn't look new. It has a little bit of wear on the drivers side seatback where a tall person might've slid against the edge getting in and out of the car. I'd think that if it was new repro seat covers installed in the past 10 years or so, they'd look newer. The upholstery is white vinyl but it's yellowed with age.

My questions:

How can I tell if the interior is original?

Is there a plate under the hood or elsewhere with codes showing the original colors, trim level, etc.?

The windshield wiper switch doesn't appear to be correct. It was shimmed with a 3/4" long piece of pipe to hold it in, but it twists when you turn the knob. The clip on the back of it is right and it has the right knob on it, but it's a one-speed switch with no means of running the windshield washer. There's a washer bag and a pump under the hood. Should I just order a new switch or is there some kind of collar missing? Is there some other means of operating the washer? The '65 I had years ago didn't have washers so I'm not sure how that works.

On the automatic shifter, after neutral, there's a dot and an O with DRIVE vertically spelled out to the left. Below that is an L. Is this a 3 speed automatic or does it have some kind of overdrive? Were all the automatics like this?

That should do it for now. I"m still exploring the car and waiting on an idler arm to come in so it's going to be parked until next weekend.

Thanks!

Jason
strike300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 03:49 PM   #2
The Deuce
Registered Member

Default Re: 1966 Questions

The transmission is a 3 speed, unless it was replaced with a newer model. Someone would have told you that though.

There should be a data tag on the drivers door near the strike plate, which would have all the build codes on it.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/

is a site that you can use for all sort of production data. That guy is a mustang data freak.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:17 AM   #3
strike300
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deuce
The transmission is a 3 speed, unless it was replaced with a newer model. Someone would have told you that though.
There should be a data tag on the drivers door near the strike plate, which would have all the build codes on it.
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/
is a site that you can use for all sort of production data. That guy is a mustang data freak.
Thanks, I checked out that site and decoded the plate on the door.

I have the original owners manual and looked up the transmission selector and it doesn't seem to work the way the manual describes. In the position right below neutral, it's supposed to start out in 2nd gear and then shift into 3rd for slippery roads. The next position down is the normal drive position.

Mine seems to work in normal drive in the position right below neutral and if you go into the next position it shifts 1-2. The L position is 1st gear only. (works just like a Chrysler transmission) Even modern day Ford transmissions have a position to start out in 2nd gear. Now I'm wondering if the transmission has been modified or replaced with something different.
strike300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:36 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

Someone has installed a later C-4 (3 speed automatic) in the car. The original '66 has "Select Shift Cruise-a-matic" which operates as desribed in the manual. Later versions operate the way yours does, with a D,2,1 on the selecter.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:43 PM   #5
Lou Lyman
Registered Member

Or, someone has changed the valve body to the later model which changes the shift pattern.

Lou