MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-12-2005, 12:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

Default 1969 mustang coupe several issues i need help with

i recently purchased 1969 mustang 302 2bl cpe. i have couple of issues with it.

1. engine kinda idles funny. it has a "putter" sound and occassionally it stalls out while idling. can this a vaccumm issue, choke, fuel issue. when i give it gas it is fine.

2. steering - when i change lanes or reaching and passing around 50mph. steering weaves. tires are not factory tires. they are 245/40zr18. i sure hate to get pulled over and get DWI for looking like im drunk when im not

3d my lights goes on/off occasionally including the dashboard lights. is that a grounding issue or headlight switch goin out from what i read in the forum

4h. i have rewired side markers and front parking wiring the previous or previous previous owner kinda jerry rigging it using plastic connectors and poor electrical taping wrapping. and before buying a haynes manual. i think i blew my turn signal cams. i get hazard light to work but not my turn signals. what color wire(s) supply power to the turn signals

I have bought some wiring from some junkyard 69 mustang and tested them to make sure they are good connection with an ohm meter. after i purchased haynes manual and checking the wiring schematics. i am left with two connectors that i have no idea where the go, maybe hood turn signals.

The 1 connector goes
Colors are
Black x--------o
White- Blue Stripe x--------o--------- <------ extra wire
Black – Yellow Stripe o--------x

The 2 connector goes
Colors are
Black x--------o
Green - White Stripe x--------o--------- <------ extra wire
Black – Yellow Stripe o--------x
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11-11-05_2312.jpg (3.4 KB, 3 views)
1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default Re: 1969 mustang coupe several issues i need help with

1. Puttering... could be vacuum... could be choke... could be distributor/plug wires/plugs... it could even be exhaust, though that shouldn't make it stall.

2. Steering weaves? Sounds like you have some serious wear in your suspension/steering parts... or, and I really hope this isn't the problem, your frame is rusted out and needs replaced... I wouldn't think that it is the tires unless they are severly worn.

3. Get a new switch, and see if that fixes things... seems like the quickest and cheapest fix.

Not sure about the wiring, off hand...
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 11:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

thanks for the info's
Old 11-13-2005, 11:17 PM   #4
Registered Member

the plugs belong to hood turn signals. after intense searching at the local savage yards, finally found one with almost complete wiring it was missing hood turn signals sockets and wires to the headlights. planning on getting the alternator wires. ok dumb question? can send me a wiring schemtaic for the alternator and voltage regualtor with what terminal does what, the reason i asking the dumb question is that previous owner(s) had put a delco alternator which use 1 wire to the battery but there 2 terminal for regulator on the side of the alternator. 1 terminal is link to the terminal that attach to battery/starter relay. i believe the the terminal is for voltmeter guage; what wire do i used. presently presently goin to the alternator regulator is green/ red stripe and yellow wire and 1 wire going to alternator from starter relay