MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #1
scootro
Registered Member

Default 1969 Mustang Coupe used parts…

I need some help from you all. Ok here is the scenario my buddy has a 69’ mustang coupe typical 289 automatic trans. He has been using this car as his daily driver and now his front end is shot (THE CAR IS IN DECENT SHAPE). Only reason his been driving it cause he had to trade in his good car for a family vehicle cause of the new baby they just had and money is tight right now. So I promised to help him rebuild his front end.

Here is what I’m looking for and ON the cheap side, too..$$

Tie rods
Ball joints
Idler arm
power steering gear box or a power steering pump(might be a cheaper fix)

Anyone have any good links on the net of salvage yards or know of cheap or used parts. I’ve done some searching on eBay and other places, but nothing that I could find.

Thanks in advance
Scoot.
scootro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default Re: 1969 Mustang Coupe used parts…

I personally would not trust buying anything used, that wears, on a vehicle that is pushing 40 years old...

Unless the gear box and steering pump are in absolutely horrible condition, and are a danger to the driver, I'd settle for what you have...

As far as ball joints, idler arm and tie rods... again, no point in "salvaging" your way here. You're going to need an alignment while your at it, so you may as well fix it right the first time. I'd consider buying a kit that has everything you need, that will probably be your cheapest price... for doing the job right.

Also realize that as you pull stuff off, that you may find things that you don't feel comfortable in reusing...
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:39 PM   #3
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Those parts that you need are fairly inexpensive new. Why would you buy those wear items used?? You can't test them off the car and are problably worse then the ones you take off.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:59 PM   #4
RIDETHEWALRUS
Registered Member

I just had my entire front end replaced for just under 1k. The people who did it got the parts from either dallas mustang or sacramento mustang.

I would reccommend buying a kit (which runs about 750 I think) but make sure that the kit you buy includes the tie bars cause some do not.

Good luck.
RIDETHEWALRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
Elvis
Registered Member

Check "Mustangs Plus". You can get the individual kits for steering, suspension and handling and they are lifetime guaranteed. I got the whole set a year or so ago and am quite satisfied. E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:44 PM   #6
scootro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDETHEWALRUS
I just had my entire front end replaced for just under 1k. The people who did it got the parts from either dallas mustang or sacramento mustang.

I would reccommend buying a kit (which runs about 750 I think) but make sure that the kit you buy includes the tie bars cause some do not.

Good luck.
thanks.........
scootro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:03 PM   #7
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather replace the whole set at once, rather than one at a time... so I agree with the kit idea.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote