MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-12-2003, 08:00 PM   #1
manatee91
Registered Member

Default 1970 Mach l, been sitting 15 years. Carb is shot. There is a lot of work to be done

I'm not interested in the mint condition restoration. I just want to enjoy it asap! The carb needs replacing. What are the pros and cons on replacing the stock 4V or just getting an aluminum intake with a holley. This is my first time here. I haven't worked on a Ford engine in a long time! I used to have a 69 and a 70 back in the days and could work on them with my eyes closed. Now, since parts are so expensive I'm looking for the easiest and best way out!

Thanks!
manatee91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 11:12 AM   #2
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Well, here is my take. First question is what engine do you have and how much do you want to keep it. I personally like the newer aluminum intakes, less weight, better design. If you have a 351W or a FE and want to do much more, I am a big fan of the edelbrock kits with heads, intake, cam, etc... You are more limited with the 351C. Aftermarket carb wise you will probably find as many different opinions as people willing to offer them. How about a rebuild of the stock carb? My experience is that stock carbs tend to be less picky and tempermental compared to aftermarket carbs. But of course, aftermarket carbs have more potential and tunability. So if hastle free driving is what you want, I would go stock carb or something like an Q-jet. (In trouble already, my opinion only). For more tunability go edelbrock, and if you want to tinker and tune for best performance, go holley.

I would definately give that engine a through going over, flush of everything and prime the oil pump before starting it. I would also plan to convert over to an electronic ignition. Once again, petronics for trouble free operation with minimal work or something like MSD if you want to build a screamer.

There are my thoughts. Let the dissenting opinions begin.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 05:27 PM   #3
69fastback
IRAQ VET

I too am a big fan of the edlebrock pakages they work great with the old ford motors. I am more of a fan of the msd route with ignigtion. I tried to switch my 428 over to an electronic distributer and it didn't work all that well. I went with alll msd products and it was like driving a whole new car. Have fun. I new edlebrock aluminum intake and crab work really well and all you have to do is pop them on and go with it.
91 GT
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 06:31 PM   #4
manatee91
Registered Member

Default Thanks for your info! I purchased a 750 Holley today, still undecided about the

intake. I've got a long ways to go! It is a cleveland engine. I sure liked working on a windsor better. The plugs were something else.

I'm going to try and attatch a picture and yes those are bullet holes!
manatee91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 01:49 PM   #5
hobgoblin351
Registered Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of Clevelands! lol God, I hate changing plugs! Hope you put in Platinum ones, they'll last longer. I agree with Thunderbolt, if you're not looking to spend alot of money just have the stock carb rebuilt. Then drive it for awhileto see how much more power, if any you want. They're really are not that many choices when hot rodding a Cleveland. Basically street performance or all out race, not much inbetween.
You said it had a 4V carb so I'm assuming you've got 4V heads. If you go with a new manifold/carb set up the Edlebrock is a good choice, if you're keeping it mild. Also look into getting a set of port plates. They will help with intake charge velocities and help out your bottom end.
Scrw in studs/comp cams rllr rkr
Mldn valves 2.19in 1.71ex
ported polished cc'd hrdnd ex
Keith Black FT pistons(10.25/1)
Weiand Excellorator manifold
Holley700 DP mech 2nds
MSD 6 box and Dis
Headers/2 1/2 inch duels
tr: modified FMX
re:9-inch/3.89 limited slip
hobgoblin351 is offline   Reply With Quote