MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-18-2002, 01:14 AM   #1
NitroStanggirl
Registered Member

Default So I want 2000 GT door panels in my 1970.

I must be dreaming. It's a restomod. reason being is the car is a plain and simple 1970 fastback, not mach, not boss, not shelby, not ca special. I saw the door panels that came in the deluxes but all the restoration mags want like over $200 for them. I just think it would be neat to have 2000 GT door panels in my 1970. Please don't throw vegetables at me.

The car I have has been molested several times before I bought it not knowing. So nothing's orignal about it. A numbers matching restoration would be more work than it's worth. So my plans are to just have fun with it and be creative.

I took the door panels from my wrecked 91 and just held them up to see if they would fit maybe with some nice quality modification and it looks like they would work. Anyone done something like this? I'm into doing things right. I'm spending over $8000 on the powertrain and $1000 on just the seats, so don't worry, I don't want a crap job done on anything. Look at Eleanor, they modified the $h!+ out of that car, but it looked good.
Old 04-18-2002, 02:39 AM   #2
jwboner
Registered Member

I don't know if you would be able to retro the new panels to fit the old doors, but you might try fabricating some. Make a cardboard template of an old panel, then copy it onto something thin and rigid and stretch vinyl or whatever you want over it putting any accent markings on it as you go. I thought about going this route with mine because I didn't really want to go with the plain looking panels that it came with but it would have taken too long so just went with some new stock ones.
John
65 fastback 347 DFI injected w/vic jr, TFS heads, MSD, cable clutch TKO, 3.70 9", tc subframe conns, custom traction bars, griffen alum radiator, armored fuel cell, and torq thrust D's Retrofitted Prelude seats. Vintage Air underdash kit. Fiberglass here and there too
More on the way all the time.
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 11:55 PM   #3
69fastback
IRAQ VET

hey don't worry about it nobody here will give you crap about restomoding you mustang. Especialy me. I have torn apart a 428 r-code i don't catch any crap about it around here but someitmes I will get alot of hell for it.
As far as the door panles hey anything is possible if the money is there. I have never thought of that but i think it would be pretty cool. I thought about putting the electric windows in mine but then i realized it would add weight so i decided it was not worth it.
91 GT
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 12:02 AM   #4
NitroStanggirl
Registered Member

BTW, the electric windows you either have to buy the $400 kit or cut the brace out of your window regulator or completely replace it. The gear on a 87-93 motor will mesh!

Power door locks. Work like a charm!! Easy Easy retrofit. Get some actuators out of a 87-93 Mustang and mount them inside the door in the lever that your top lock pins actuate and put it in the hole on that lever!
Old 04-19-2002, 07:16 PM   #5
70_Nitrous_Eate
Registered Member

Bought my power windows kit for $240, spend another 70$ on the switch and wiring kit. Bout the only thing you keep is the glass. They work like a charm and are really trick when hooked up to my alarm.

I just bought some generic actuators for power locks. These just mount to you existing hardware so it's an easy mod. $15 a side, think it cost me more for wire and relays. I didn't bother mounting any switches because I have the power locks hooked up to the alarm and only rarely manually lock/unlock my vehicle.

I also hooked up a remote trunk opener (again hooked to the alarm) with a button in the glovey. Another cheap easy mod that's SUPER handy. Total Cost approx $40.

So now I can roll up/down the windows, lock/unlock the doors and pop the trunk all with my alarm remote! Plus the automaticly lock and the windows automaticly roll up when I arm the alarm.

The windows kit is made by Electric-Line.
The switch kit is made by same company and is "Joker Style"
Bought the windows and switch kit from Summit.

P.S. I had a local company reupholster my deluxe door panels for a fraction of the cost of replacement pannels. I think you're gonna have a heck of a time trying to fab the 00' GT panels to work (especially with the 70' style door lever). And the cost of the 00' GT panels won't be cheap either.
70_Nitrous_Eate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 09:19 PM   #6
NitroStanggirl
Registered Member

THANKS FOR ALL THAT USEFULL INFO NITROUS!!!!

I guess I just like the best no matter what it costs!!! I'm paying $1000 for Sparco racing seats rather than getting the look-alikes for $600. Shrug