MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-10-2004, 10:30 AM   #1
KodaKing
Registered Member

Question 1973 Fuel Tank Seal

I recently bought a 1973 Mach 1 Clone. It's about 85% restored and was once a racer. It has new paint, tires, wheels, carpet, upholstery, and a rebuilt 302. I have just gotten it back from the shop where I had the wiring replaced. Nothing had worked but headlights, taillights, and wipers.

Here's my latest issue. The racer had a fuel cell in the trunk, and the original tank was removed from underneath. When it was restored, the cell was taken out and a new tank slung underneath. Where the filler neck enters the tank, there is supposed to be a seal/gasket that prevents spillage and fumes. It's not there. I've looked all over the internet, and other people have looked too. I asked at the 2 Ford dealerships here and was told that, "Yes, it's what you need, but we cannot get it!!" Is there anyone who knows where to find OR MAKE this seal, I would REALLY appreciate the info. I need to make this roadtrip drivable by May 21!!
KodaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 12:52 PM   #2
Kisner
Registered Member

I've attached a picture of the seal you need. Mustangs Unlimited has them for $19.95. Their web site is www.mustangsunlimited.com.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel filler pipe seal.jpg (10.4 KB, 8 views)
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 04:00 PM   #3
KodaKing
Registered Member

Default 1973 Fuel Tank Seal

Thank you for replying. However, that is not the seal I need. The one I need is BELOW that seal and actually seals the filler neck to the gas tank. It is my understanding from previous searching excursions, that prior to 1971, the fuel tank roof and trunk floor were one in the same. In 1971 they slung the tank UNDER the trunk floor. This seal I need appears to be a doughnut shaped piece of rubber with a groove along the circumferential edge. It wedges into the opening of the tank and the filler neck slides into the "hole". The inside diameter of the hole is slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the filler neck and the seal is created thusly. Right now, without that seal, the vapors and sloshing are not safe for driving more than a few minutes at a time. Picture the appearance of a 1/2 inch bolt "threaded" into a 3/4 nut. That is what I have with the filler neck and gas tank. I've attached a picture I took of this setup. Hope you can see what I'm talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn0255.jpg (380.0 KB, 9 views)
KodaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:12 AM   #4
Kisner
Registered Member

Sorry, I see now. Wasn't aware of the 73's setup (I have a 68). I'll keep looking and let you know if I stumble across a source.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:42 PM   #5
z3beemer
Registered Member

Default fuel gasket

Not sure if this will work but it may be worth looking into. I too have a 73 Mach I fortunatey my gasket is in good shape. But I recently built a fox body (87) mustang and had to replace the filler pipe/tank gasket and it appears to be quite similar to the one on the 73 (only it comes in on the side of the tank). You may want to see if the diameter is close. If so you may be able to modify it to work.

Paul
z3beemer is offline   Reply With Quote