MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-30-2002, 12:33 PM   #1
jasonmaxwell
Registered Member

Default 2 questions

pre:
i purchased my 1967 mustang coupe from a person who knew nothing about what they were doing. Many parts are wrong, so I am slowly restoring it correctly.

two questions:
1) When i purchased the car, there were no letters on the hood, or the trunk. When looking more closely there also are no holes to put the letters into. I suspect that the previous owner purchased a new hood and trunk lid prior to its paint job and didn't transfer the holes from the previous parts. Is there any way to get a sheet that would have the placement of holes on it like a lay-over so i could drill the holes and place the letters.

2) The car didn't originally have a console installed in, however i purchased one and am in the process of installing it. The setup, however, is a little confusing to me. First, the back light at the rear of the console remains lit no matter what, is this correct? Is the switch next to the pull down door supposed to kill that light? Secondly, how do you set up the indicator light so that it shines on what ever gear you are on (i.e. drive, reverse, etc.)

If pictures of my console and how i am trying to set it up would help, let me know and i will put some up. I think it is possible that i may be missing a part or more for the console.

thanx in advance
jasonmaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 01:14 PM   #2
71grande
Registered Member

well, not sure if I have the same setup as you on the letters, but Mine arent held on via holes. they are backed with some form of rubbery glue. mind you this is a stock 71, they might have changed it from your year to mine.

Sorry not any help withthe console, but If you post pics I might be able to help a bit with the wiring. as to the light staying on, seems like it is just hooked up to the wrong type of power. should be a switched power I think, not a constant as you describe. when you kill the car does it stay on?

Mike

My garage: 1971 Mustang Grande, MSD6A, 625 Road Demon JR, Edelbrock Performer manifold, Hopes and Dreams...

1970 Norton 750 Commando

1993 Saturn SC2. The wifeys. fuzzy dice and all.
71grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 07:53 PM   #3
Kisner
Registered Member

The hood and trunk letters on the 67 are mounted via holes and held by barrell nuts. Don't know of any templates available since I also looked for a trunk letter template for my 68. However, I do have a back issue of "Mustang Monthly" magazine I held on to that lists exact placement of the letters. I can dig it out and give you the exact locations of where the letters should be if you like. It doesn't measure where to drill the holes but measures from the left side of the hood and trunk lid to the left side of where each letter should be.

One recommendation I would make (my 2 cents) is to not drill the holes on the trunk lid. The early model Mustang trunk lids were notorious for rusting out right behind the bottom lip of the lid where the letters are mounted. Primarily because the holes eventually allowed water in to settle in the lower cavity. Mine was so rusted out I had to purchase a new trunk lid and have decided to use the stick-on letters instead (they're identical to the push in type). In addition, it was going to be a nightmare for me to drill 2 holes per letter and pray each one was perfect.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 07:54 PM   #4
jasonmaxwell
Registered Member

they must have changed. My letter have two offset prongs on the rear end that go into holes and then into a type of securing nut. I would drill the holes myself by just centering everything, but w/ the holes being offset as they are, I am afraid the letters will end up being crooked.

As for the console I talked to someone that has the same thing and think I have solved the problem. You are correct in the constant factor. It is wired to a constant rather, I need to rewire it to go onto the accessory on the light switch.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:57 PM   #5
jasonmaxwell
Registered Member

I would be very appreciative if you could get those measurements for me, also if you know of where i could purchase the letters w/ the adhesive backing would be great.
thanx

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: