View Single Post
Old 06-07-2004, 06:24 PM   #1
cazint
Registered Member

Default drain valve on radiator---how to undo it?

Hey guys,

Maybe one of you can help me with something. I have a 96 mustang gt, which has some type of leak in the cooling system...perhaps it is in the radiator or the hose. I was instructed to add water to the cooling system, for testing purposes only, and then search for the leak. Bottom line, I can't find the leak, and I am needing to drain water out so i can then add the appropriate 50/50 mixture. (*Note* I am ignorant with cars)

I was told there is a petcock valve on most, if not all, cars. Further, i read it is a white valvue on the passenger side of the radiator. I just jacked the car up, went under, found a white "thing" in the shape of a bolt. Is this the petcock valve? And if so, how do I remove it? I tried to losen it, but it twisted only one or two turns and then stopped. I did not want to tug on it to hard, as I have read that there are differnet ways of removing the valve for different cars, and that one could break the valve if they are not careful.

So basically, what is the petcock valve, where is it, and what must I do to it to allow the water to drain out?

Thanks for your help.

cazint
cazint is offline   Reply With Quote