MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-05-1999, 02:47 PM   #1
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Post 289 Timing

I have a 68' 289 coupe, and I was going to set the timing, do you guys know a good position to put it? How much to advance etc?

I run my 5.0 at 15degrees, but I assume this engine is different.

thanks,

Sky
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-1999, 05:21 PM   #2
2bav8
Registered Member

I run 14 initial and around 40 total @ 3000

------------------
http://www.comports.com/2bav8
2bav8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-1999, 08:50 PM   #3
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

How do you adjust initial and total timing? I havn't messed w/ these old cars much.

Thanks,

SKy
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-1999, 10:55 PM   #4
Mach
Registered Member

Inital:

Remove vac advance ( and retard if so equiped ), set idle as slow as it will run smoothly, set timing.

Total is a little more diffficult.

The only real way to set total timing is to drive the car, roll into the throttle and see if there is any rattle and ping. If not, advance the timing and drive the car again. Keep advancing until there is a pinging when you have the car at WOT.

Then bump the timing back a hair and set the idle.

It's possable to advance the timing so far the auto will not start when hot. Then you get to play the game of switching vac advance units ( or getting an adjustable one ), and playing with the mechanical counter weights stops ( adding or removing metal ).

And that just gets you the base figures that can and will change when the wind blows from another direction.

Then you can play with the spring rates on the mechanical advance and vac advance to controol event timing. You dont want full advance at 1500, nor do you want to delay full advance until red line.

A final note: Cant really use a light to set a Fords timing, mostly because the timing chains and gears are crap. Even with a gear drive and degreed cam a light falls short because the advertised advance numbers are for "any engine". Your needs may vary.

Gets better!

And you thought carb jetting was a PITA?

Mark.
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
ALUCARD684
Registered Member

Default Re: 289 Timing

i have a 289, and was wondering if you could help me with the timing and point specs. well my Q to this is: what are the numbers for these things? also its a 4 barrel carburetor V8. i don't know if that will help out but yeah pls asking for help here. I've had this car for 2 years now been working on it on and off but me and my dad replaced the engine and so all im asking what are the numbers for the timing and the point specs. when we get it to idle smoothly shifting it into gear will either stall it or kill it, getting the shifting of gears to be ok the idleler screws up so...any suggestions? i wrote all this down so that maby it would break it down for you guys. thanks
ALUCARD684 is offline   Reply With Quote