MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-16-1999, 11:47 AM   #1
red
Registered Member

Question 302 Aluminum Oil Pan

My rear seal is leaking oil so I figure I will get rid of my chrome oil pan when I replace the seals. If you ever think about putting on a chrome pan just remember they are a pain to keep clean. Anyone know where I can get an aluminum pan for a 302? I would even consider a whole cobra type dressup package because getting rid of my chrome valve covers would be nice too.
-JON
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-1999, 10:53 PM   #2
66fastback
Registered Member

Unhappy

Sorry, no help here. The cobra pan is the only aluminum pan I can think of. At least they look cool.

Funny you should bring up oil pans. I just found out the hard way that not all front sump pans are the same. While dropping in the 5.0 last weekend, the engine wouldn't slide back onto the tranny like it should, when I got under to look, the pan was hitting the crossbrace.

I pulled the brace and will be putting spacers in to clear. I would have used my old pan--drain on the side of the sump, but it was stripped out. This pan was from a salvage yard, and the drain was in the back of the sump. Stupid me never thought they would make the sump any longer because of that. Sorry to run off into my own little world there....been a long day. Ready to finish this engine up and drive my car again.

Good luck finding a pan. Bummer about the rear seal.
66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-1999, 09:05 PM   #3
thunderbolt
Registered Member

I think you can still order the cobra pan from Tony Branda.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-1999, 09:15 AM   #4
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

You can also try mustangs unlimited but hang on to your wallet!
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-1999, 08:47 PM   #5
Dave1
Registered Member

I have one of the aftermarket Cobra Aluminum oil pans on my 68, 289. Looks good, has the oil running alittle cooler, BUT it is poras and seeps through the metal of the pan. This is not good. I have lived with it for a few years, but am planning on removing it and super cleaning it so I can epoxy the inside of it.

I filled it with ATF and let it sit for 2 weeks before I installed in on my car. Trying to not have this problem. A real bummer.

Looks good and holds 7 1/2 gt. of oil though.
Dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-1999, 01:49 AM   #6
66fastback
Registered Member

Wow Dave1, that's unbelievable. I never would have thought they could be that porous. I'd use glycol to seal it up--easy to apply. Engine builders use it all the time to seal the blocks for better oil return and to keep any loose bits of casting in their place.
Old 07-20-1999, 09:44 AM   #7
red
Registered Member

Unhappy

Thanks for the info about the porous pan. Maybe I will just buy the steel one (canton) from mustangs plus. I just got a aluminum tranny pan from TCI and would like to match with an aluminum oil pan. Do you just buy a bottle of glycol from the local parts shop?
-JON
Old 07-20-1999, 02:24 PM   #8
66fastback
Registered Member

Red face

oops, did I really say GLYCOL? I meant GLYPTOL--not sure about the spelling I guess I really was tired last night. I know its not hard to come by...they use it to preserve fossils of dinosaurs and stuff. Ask an archeoligists!!
Old 07-20-1999, 03:41 PM   #9
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

I don't know about you red but I really don't know that many archeologists! Might try calling a good machine shop and asking them. You got to remember 66 is having troubles with getting it started.
Old 07-20-1999, 08:25 PM   #10
66fastback
Registered Member

Angry

watch it Clark.....No problems getting it started here.....I just plugged into the wrong hole is all. HAH.
Old 07-21-1999, 05:32 PM   #11
Neal Jackson
Registered Member

Red,

I am a little bit late to this thread but, in case you have not decided on a pan yet - I'd strongly recommend the Canton 7 quart (which, they say, is the total oil in the system, as opposed to 7 quarts in the pan and one in the filter).

We have one on our 65 Fastback 302, there is virtually no difference in the road clearance to the bottom of the pan, it is nicely gold anodized, extremely well made, fits like a glove, does not leak, has a nice driver front (on the side) magnetic drain plug that allows removal by reaching down from the top of the engine - no more crawling under the car to drain the oil.

It also has a built in scraper and I'd recomment the windage tray and the special pick up tube.

I ordered ours from Mustangs Plus on a Wed afternoon and it arrived on our front porch friday morning of the same week! That's not even two days and we are in NE Arizona, in the middle of nowhere. And that was regular ground/nothing special UPS shipping. I am still amazed and no, I don't work for Canton or Mustangs Plus.

Good luck!

Neal
Neal Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-1999, 10:16 AM   #12
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Red, I know this posting has been gone for a while, but I was ordering some stuff from Eastwood and ran across "Glyptal".I know you were going to try and find some, so at least you'll have a source. It's about $20.00 and comes in spray or brush.
Old 08-01-1999, 06:24 PM   #13
red
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the info. I'm leaning twords the aluminum pan and coating it with the stuff that 66 and Clark are talking about. The Canton steel pan looks like a great item too. I have an aluminum tranny pan I really like and think the cobra aluminum pan looks cool! For an oil pan on a pretty much stock engine, the looks are more important than to me than anything else.
Thanks again for the help and good information.
-JON
Old 08-02-1999, 01:45 AM   #14
66fastback
Registered Member

I'm getting my car to run and handle pretty well, and I've had my eyes on the Cobra pan for some time now. I had no idea that they had this kind of a problem.

I agree Red, the pan LOOKS AWSOME. I can't think of anything I would rather have under the engine. However, for my situation, I think I might have to go with the Canton. It sounds like a terrific pan, and would work well for an occasional autocross or road race. Thanks for all the info guys, and good luck with the pan.
Old 08-03-1999, 04:14 AM   #15
Neal Jackson
Registered Member

Well, there is something to be said for that "Cobra" aluminum oil pan, when it comes to the "looks" department.

But just hope you never catch a rock with it or impact it even in the slightest manor, because it won't take much to crack it or knock a chunk out of it. Not only do they leak, but they just are not all that durable.

Good Luck!

Neal
Neal Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote