MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-01-2001, 09:14 AM   #1
Todd_A
Registered Member

Post Non-Roller to Roller Block Conversion

I have a 1984 non-roller motor and was thinking that I was going to try to swap out the cam with Wafe's factory roller cam and use the little "spider" thingy and lifters from a bad 1990 block I have at the shop. Gonna drill out the holes and tap them so put the "spider" on there and bolt it all up. Only problem is that I was told a minute ago that the lifter bores may not be made deep enough to work ok with the taller roller lifters. But if I am just using that stock cam I might be ok. I know that any block 351 or 302 after about '87 is made with taller lifter bore holes and can be converted to a roller setup, but does anyone know if the earlier blocks will be ok for this conversion?
Todd_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 11:01 AM   #2
Moxie
Registered Member

Early non-roller blocks may be converted, but not using a factory hydraulic roller cam. The lifter bosses are too short to accept the lifters with the stock diameter cam.

Crane and Comp Cams both 'Retrofit Cams', that have a small base circle diameter. This keeps the lifters down in the bores.

------------------
Moxie Racing

The Nitrous Oxide Information Site
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote