MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-14-1999, 09:19 PM   #1
1973Mach1
Registered Member

Question 351 Cleveland Camshafts

In my '73 Mach 1 there is a 351 Cleveland. When driving down the road the other day, the engine backfired and the car quit. The reason: The camshaft had stripped four of the teeth off of my Distributor. Seeing as a whole new distibutor is only about twice as much as just the gear($24 compared to $53), I bought the whole distributor. I also talked to someone I know who also owns a 351 Cleveland and his engine has destroyed 2 gears, and is currently on his third. Another mechanic, who works at a machine shop also said that he had just recently serviced a 351C that had done the same thing. He also said that it would be worthwhile to check the camshaft plate, because if it was the wrong one, it would be able to slide forward and possibly damage the gear. He also thought it would be a good idea to pull the engine so as to clean out the oil pan, in hopes of collecting any metal pieces that may be left over from the distibutor gear.
Is any of this worthwhile? Or is it just that after (possibly)26 years of use the gear had worn down to the breaking point? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
1973Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-1999, 10:58 AM   #2
Mach
Registered Member

Most likely you pulled something into the oil pump. Cleaning the pan and pickup would be a good idea.

The person toasting distributer gears is probably using a gear made of the wrong material.
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-1999, 10:58 AM   #3
Shawn
Registered Member

Red face

I agree with Mach, I've never had any problems with the 4Clevelands I have. But I have known people that used the wrong distributor gear with the wrong cam, is your gear steel or brass or...? Is it the stock cam? But most likely you sucked something chunky into your oil pump, just be glad the oil pump shaft didn't snap, now that did happen to me and it wasn't fun. Good luck~
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-1999, 12:38 AM   #4
Mach
Registered Member

... Uh,,, And while you have the pan down for cleaning you may want to replace the pump shaft. Mayhaps eventhe pump. They are cheap enough now.

Thanks for reminding me about the shaft. I have barber polled and snapped them so reuse was never an option.
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote