MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-07-1999, 06:10 PM   #1
ren65
Registered Member

Default 351 heads users...lots?s also

Can you 351 head users give me a hand?
Ive got a pair of rebuilt 69 heads,Do I need machining for guide plates or is this just for late model pedestal type heads, different machine shops keep giving me different quotes on tapping my heads for screw in studs saying that they also have to mill my stud pedestals for guide plates,there is a pedestal on the heads but they dont look like the pedestals on the late model heads,do I really need to mill them off to use guide plates. I also need to know what Push rod lengths did you guys use for a 302block, roller cam/lifters and the vintage 351 heads with 1:6 roller rockers.I know I should really measure this myself,but I need actual examples from you guys so I dont order the wrong stuff.I also hear different advise on Intake gaskets for this combo,some people say I need specific 351 intake manifold gaskets because one of the shapes of the water passages are different from the late model FI intake.What have you guys used? can you get away with using stock latemodel 302 felpro intake gaskets.Do you also know If I can use a set of non rail type stamped rockers off a 289,are these 1:6 ratios also or will I need to get a different length of pushrods as apposed to the roller rocker set up.
Thanks in advance,
ren65
ren65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-1999, 09:10 AM   #2
jknapek
Registered Member

Well, I'm not totally convinced that my local machine shop knows what they are doing, but they insisted that I mill the pedestals in order to use guide plates. My problem is that they took off so much material, that one of my studs stripped the threads in the head. I had to heli-coil it to avoid a costly repair. Otherwise they're fine. I have '69 351W heads so I had hardened seats installed. I'm using the stock '69 351W rockers with stock 5.0 pushrods and it all works fine. I still don't have the money to actually buy the guideplates and the roller rockers. I'm also debating whether I should trash these heads and rebuild another set. If you want more info on this setup, see my web page: http://www.totalaccess.net/~jknapeks/jon.htm

Hope this helps,
Jon
jknapek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-1999, 07:39 AM   #3
Scooter
Registered Member

Use the 351W intake gaskets, because of the water ports, and the size of the intake ports, the 302 gaskets will not match up with the 351W heads.

Also the 302 or 289 pushrods are the ones to use with the older 289 rockers.

[This message has been edited by Scooter (edited 05-13-99).]
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote