MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-02-1999, 09:19 AM   #1
Spook
Registered Member

Default 351 SVO in a '66 Coupe

I just bought a 362 hp engine from Ford Motorsports. It's a 351 of the Windsor type, and I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to put a 351w in a 66 or before. I know that they are a little narrower than the later models, but opinions have varied on wether or not the heads are going to bump against the shock towers. I've already had to swap the water pump, oil pan, and distributor. If anyone knows of any problems I am going to run into please let me know. I'll keep notes of all the mods I have to make and post it for reference when I'm done.
Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-1999, 06:02 PM   #2
2bav8
Registered Member

The 351W drops right into a 66 mustang.
Granted, there is not a lot of room...

Headers are the biggest problem, but there are now companies that sell headers for this pecific swap. Headman is one such company...

Hood clearance is also tighter with the taller deck height.

------------------
http://www.comports.com/2bav8
2bav8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-1999, 08:15 PM   #3
1fordfan
Registered Member

Try WWW.wabba.net There is a whole "how to" section on doing this. Also a list of header companys,phone numbers, do's and don'ts, etc.

------------------
66coupe,289,T5,3.50
1fordfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-1999, 12:03 AM   #4
Spook
Registered Member

I know it's been a while since I posted this. I've gotten alot done though. Had to get accessories that run on the serpentine system. That was alot easier that trying to convert the water pump, timing chain cover...etc. Got them off of a late 70's Mercury. Headers are TIGHT!!! Waiting on the new gas tank, and exhaust system. More later.
Old 07-24-1999, 02:34 AM   #5
2bav8
Registered Member

Just curious what brand of headers you went with...

Good luck with the installation.
Old 07-24-1999, 02:34 AM   #6
2bav8
Registered Member

Just curious what brand of headers you went with...

Good luck with the installation.

------------------
http://www.comports.com/2bav8
Old 07-24-1999, 10:08 PM   #7
David Gagnard
Registered Member

Spook;

I have the same setup, 351-W in a 65 Fastback with a Tremec. I got my long tube headers from Total Performance and the fit was not the best. I had to do a little work on them to fit and by the way,at the time they were the only ones making (made in Mexico,still had sticker saying so) headers for this swap. Now two or three companies are doing so and now they are about half the price I paid for mine four years ago. I have not had any hood clearance problems but if you do you can get a drop base air cleaner from Summit that lowers it 1 and 1/2 inches. Everything else from the original Mustang will fit. If you have any problems let me know and maybe I can help.
PS; the middle four spark plugs are tough to change and you better do it when the motor is cold.

David 65 Fastback-351-W-Tremec-13.28 @ 104mph street trim and street legal.

[This message has been edited by David Gagnard (edited 07-25-1999).]
David Gagnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-1999, 10:50 PM   #8
Spook
Registered Member

I went with Hedman. They were around $150.
I think the biggest pain was putting the new oil pan on. The motor came with the dipstick in a housing attached directly to the oil pan. It was a 2 sump and I had to replace it with a front sump. I therefore had to drill out the dipstick housing, cut a hole in the new oil pan and mount it. After all that I went to put it on the engine and came to see that the housing bumped against the oil pump. So, I had to switch sides and was left with a hole in one side of the pan that I had to get welded.
I had to buy a flat fan without a clutch to have radiator clearance.
Can you suggest a place to put an electric fuel pump? I'm going to replace all the metal line with rubber and have to come up with a good place to mount it.