MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-08-2001, 02:27 AM   #1
RedLilPony
It's been awhile, huh?

Cool 390 exhaust

the exhaust on my 68 sucks. there is no nice way to put it. what would be the best option for it? i cant decide. The engine is a 390 and has hooker headers. I need to replace everything inbetween the headers and tips. any suggestions?

Jodi
Red 68 GT FB M4(As seen in Mustang Illustrated)
BLK 99 GT CP M5

RedLilPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 11:24 AM   #2
Tom351
Registered Member

Get some aluminized 2.5 or 2.75 inch pipes and 2 chamber Flowmasters, and you will be set.

------------------
67 Fastback - Arctic White Pearl paint
351W ,Trick Flow Aluminum Heads, Edelbrock TorkerII, Comp. Cam, Performance Automatic C-4 Trans, 3.55 gears, Front Disc Brakes, 1-1/8" Fr. 3/4" rear sway bars.

My 351W Fastback
Tom351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 03:19 PM   #3
Jaydee
Registered Member

Agree with Tom on the aluminized pipe, (2 1/2" dia is plenty big enough) and the Flowmasters - two chamber's if you want to rumble or three chamber's if your looking for a quieter but still nice sounding set up. And don't forget to add a balance pipe connecting the right and left side pipes in back of the headers - smooths out the sound nicely and also adds a couple of hp
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 10:13 PM   #4
Gearhead999
Registered Member

I installed 2 1/2 inch from the hookers back to tips. Welded the tips in the end of the pipe. Used 3 chamber Flowmasters too. Had the "H" pipe made and bought the tailpipes from someone, can't remember, and they are mandral bent. They are VERY tight going over the rear housing [9"] and running up along the leaf springs.

Mine is a 68 FB with 289 and AOD.
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 10:42 PM   #5
MercDude
Registered Member

Red face

Ok... here's the deal. You need to cut the exhaust off before the axle... you'll loose about 20lbs and the difference in Hp is about 10 over the full exhaust out the back. Also i've always been of the opinion that any type of exhaust tip on old restomoded Fords looks weird. It just doesn't match well with the 60's cars. If you want 2 chamber flows... go with the delta flows... increased flow over norm 2 chamber and decreased noise factor over the norm 2 chamber, but it is still very loud.

------------------
'63 Merc Meteor hardtop, warm 302, C4 auto, 2.25" Flowmaster Exhaust,
'65 289 heads - ported/chevy valves, performer cam, edelbrock f4a intake, full length hookers, 600 holley, roller rockers, k'n, 10.5:1 hyperutetic pistons... mid 13's hoping to reach into 12's
MercDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 09:21 AM   #6
Tom351
Registered Member

Talking

I agree, I have no tailpipes and it sounds sooo much better that way. I got busted for illegal exhaust once, so I just hung some fake tailpipes that are about 8" long. Just long enough to look like they are hooked up.

------------------
67 Fastback - Arctic White Pearl paint
351W ,Trick Flow Aluminum Heads, Edelbrock TorkerII, Comp. Cam, Performance Automatic C-4 Trans, 3.55 gears, Front Disc Brakes, 1-1/8" Fr. 3/4" rear sway bars.

My 351W Fastback

Tom351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 01:46 PM   #7
RedLilPony
It's been awhile, huh?

Talking

Thanks for the input, but I need tips in the back... there is a cut out along the bottom panel for them to stick out of... wont it look funny w/o them?

Jodi

------------------
Jodi
99 GT M5
RedLilPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 09:06 AM   #8
Jaydee
Registered Member

Any good muffler shop will be able to bend up a system from the headers back to the tail pipes and adapt a tip style of your choice to the end of the tail pipe that fits into the tip cut out in the rear valance. I personally always use tail pipes, they do a much better job of keeping the exhaust fumes out of the interior, good clean mandrel bends will not cost much hp (esp on a 2 1/2" pipe)and the car will still sound plenty tough esp. with a pair of two chambers. Many of the Mustang vendors also carry pre bent systems for the car for around $250.00 but you would need to adapt the system to the headers, as they are designed to mate up to stock manifolds. Also, these systems are also somewhat small (I beleive 2")in diameter.
Old 01-11-2001, 02:21 PM   #9
MercDude
Registered Member

I disagree... the exhaust DOES NOT go into the cabin... in fact, you don't ever smell exhaust or fumes! I should know! AND i have a brother with a '65 falcon futura with the same style! AND i have a father with a '68 GTA convert Fairlane who just did that... He didn't believe me either until he did it... now he's VERY happy. I forgot about the rear valance... what i really love on those cars is the dual chrome exhaust tips on both sides they look like OO --- OO coming out the back... yeah i should have rephrased my statement earlier... old cars don't look good UNLESS they are a mustang GT... and then only those because they have a spot for the exhaust tip.

------------------
'63 Merc Meteor hardtop, warm 302, C4 auto, 2.25" Flowmaster Exhaust,
'65 289 heads - ported/chevy valves, performer cam, edelbrock f4a intake, full length hookers, 600 holley, roller rockers, k'n, 10.5:1 hyperutetic pistons... mid 13's hoping to reach into 12's
MercDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 03:28 PM   #10
Jaydee
Registered Member

As far as the exhaust smell inside of the car, I'm just speaking from personel experience, having run dumps for a while on my 87 LX. There was no real noticible smell when actually rolling, but when stopped at idle, especially for a couple of minutes or more, the exhaust smell in the car would become very noticible. The exhaust smell was completly eliminated when I changed over to a set of fuill legnth tail pipes.