MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-25-2000, 02:21 AM   #1
SKYWLKR
Registered Member

Talking 5.0 in 67 fast back

Is there any one who has droped a fuel injected 5.0 in to a vintage car? what was involved?T-5 as well?how did you work the fuel pump situation? I have the car and most of the stuff I think I will need to do the swap except the harness.

I want to use all accesorys ,A/C,power stering,and alternator from a late model car.

are there any good vintage iron web site for the mustangs?

Thanks Guys

------------------
A.K.A. The LS1 Eater http://members.aol.com/jeauxmoe/index.html 5.0 lx,performer heads, GT-40 intake,JBA headers,stock cam and TB to name a few. 12.6@110.2 w/a 1.85 60ft 13.002 @109.8 on street tires w/a 1.96* 60 ft.
SKYWLKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2000, 10:27 AM   #2
Gichigumi
Registered Member

I had a 68 Camaro for a while with an 86 Iroc 305 TPI in it. Computer was mounted under the dash. I didn't do the work but I know it required a high PSI fuel pump. It had a late 70's-early 80's F-150 external electric fuel pump if I remember right. It burned out once but was available at Advance Auto Parts and AutoZone.
Dave
Gichigumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2000, 05:49 PM   #3
Nos351C
Registered Member

>Originally posted by SKYWLKR:
>Is there any one who has droped a fuel >injected 5.0 in to a vintage car?

I helped on a friends, does that count?

>what was involved?

Uhh, swapping everythimg over and hooking up the computer? In terms of quirky stuff, watch the radiator hose connections

>T-5 as well?

We used an aod, but the t-5 can be used if you buy the addon bracket for the original stlye clutch linkage, or if you use a cable clutch conversion

>how did you work the >fuel pump situation?

Someone is making an intank high pressure pump I think, we used an externally mounted Holley pump

I have the car and >most of the stuff I think I will need to do >the swap except the harness.
>

Windosr-fox has them, as well as the fuel pumps also I believe

>I want to use all accesorys ,A/C,power >stering,and alternator from a late model >car.

I don't see anything wrong with that, if the powersteering hose will connect all right, we just used the brackets off the old motor and reused his old pump ditto with th alternator

>
>are there any good vintage iron web site >for the mustangs?

in general how about http://links.vintage-mustang.com
for this swap? I don't know of them off the top of my head, but some are listed at the site above...
Nos351C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2000, 06:28 PM   #4
hehhehmule
Registered Member

I wouldn't want to discourage you from your project, but why not go with the carb set up on the 5.0? It's alot simpler and may even provide you with better performance with the right induction.
hehhehmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2000, 09:07 PM   #5
65-5.0
Registered Member

I'm doing it right now, High psi fuel pump (stock is 39 psi), return fuel line, some custom wiring (I did mine with switches) Different shock tower braces, unless you are using the 94-95 intake, You don't have to use the t-5 but i recommend it. You will need a special crossmember or the t-5. Front sump oil pan (original for 289). Wiring harnesses are expensive and hard to find, check out www.windsor-fox.com they can fab you one up for about $700. You will also have to relocate your battery, which i think everyone should do anyway. oh yeah, you might have to get a specially fabricated driveshaft.

Any questions, e-mail me, grentank@iswt.com
65-5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2000, 01:39 AM   #6
shelby2
Registered Member

Talking

i am doing a fuel injection and aod swap in my 67 coupe right now, however, i am keeping my 289 which i have built with forged goodies, headwork, and a large cam. i picked up a complete setup with intake, sensors, throttle body, lines, etc as a used package deal from a guy i met. i'm trying to finish if by the end of this week (hopefully), but i still need to get my fuel line parts. if you want to get a 5.0 with transmission and all the wiring, you may want to check with a local salvage yard. around my hometown of o fallon il, they gave me a quote of around $1,000 for a used setup. hope that gives you some help, shawn.
shelby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2000, 06:50 PM   #7
SKYWLKR
Registered Member

Talking

It will not be possible to have a car with the power (312 rwhp),torque (lots at low rpms), and economy (20-21in the city and 26-27 on the highway with 3:73 gears)with a carb. I' am basically going to drop an almost identical drive train as in my 5.0 into a pseudo 67 shelby restomod.

Thanks for the input keep it coming. I think I am going to fab an intake pump set up for the car but if there is one already produced it would be easier.

------------------
A.K.A. The LS1 Eater http://members.aol.com/jeauxmoe/index.html 5.0 lx,performer heads, GT-40 intake,JBA headers,stock cam and TB to name a few. 12.6@110.2 w/a 1.85 60ft 13.002 @109.8 on street tires w/a 1.96* 60 ft.
Old 06-28-2000, 03:04 PM   #8
65Matt
Registered Member

For all the answers to your questions, goto my website: www.geocities.com/mstngmtt
65Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2000, 06:50 PM   #9
red
Registered Member

Talking

Nice web page Matt!

-JON
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2000, 02:04 PM   #10
SKYWLKR
Registered Member

Talking

Nice site and car,
but I do have a couple of Q's.
Does the EEC provide the O2 the heat source or will I have to wire a dedicated run only power source?Can the old switch handle the 20 amp draw or will I have to wire a relay like the EEC?

Why cant I use the stock style headers(whats in the way?)?
Will I be able too in a 67, being it has a much wider engine compartment?

where does the inertia switch splice into? does it carry the load or does it kill it through the relay?

Thanks for the info.

------------------
Old 07-01-2000, 01:20 AM   #11
shelby2
Registered Member

hey, i was just wondering how you hooked up your computer to the ignition switch. i have a pretty good idea of what i need to do. i have seen an article that says i need a power relay to be used, but i already have an eec power relay on my harness. he said it is needed because the old switch can't handle the power the computer needs. could you possibly give me some info on what you've done.
shelby2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: