MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-26-1999, 03:06 PM   #1
Snakeman
Registered Member

Default 64 1/2 hardtop value

A coworker of my wife's told me her dad has an old stang that he disassembled with the intent of restoring it to original condition. It is in boxes. any ideas on the worth of this assemblage of parts? It is a coupe, many parts have been re-chromed. that's all I know for now. I will get his # so I can find out more.
It sounds like a fun project.
If anybody has a ballpark figure...????ANYBODY????
Thanks!
Rob

------------------
90LX 5.0 5sp

[This message has been edited by Snakeman (edited 04-28-99).]
Snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2000, 03:12 PM   #2
Snakeman
Registered Member

this thing has been stored a bit longer now!

ANYBODY????

guy still has it and wants to sell cuz his wife has a shiny black honda that they want to stay that way. Mustang has to go.

I want it.

------------------
Rob Wegner
90LX
Old 07-28-2000, 03:46 PM   #3
John Z
Registered Member

Question

Based on the information you gave, I would expect somewhere between $100 and 10,000. Usually cars that are apart sell at a very significant discount to the market. If you want a more reasonable answer, provide more information such as VIN, condition of body (esp. rust), type and condition of the drive train, etc. If you do not have experience with restoration you can expect a lot of headaches and expenses. How do you know all of the parts are there? Since you did not take the car apart, do you know enough to put it back together? I do not want to sound harsh, but your nieve question makes me wonder if you are prepared to take on this fun project.
John Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2000, 04:01 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

Unfortunately, what John Z says is true. Right now I wouln't be willing to pay more than $1000 and then only if the body is reasonably good with no rust and good floor pans. At least this way you could probably sell the parts individually and come out OK. We don't even know if it's six, a K code or what? You'd have to go over all the parts to insure completeness, condition, options, etc. to even get a ball park figure and then subtract a lot due to disassembled condition.
You might want to hire an expert to help you with this.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, windage
tray, TRW flat tops, 351W
heads,pocket ported, 268
CC hydraulic cam, R tip
R's, Edelbrock Performer,
600 CFM Holley vac. secs.,
Mallory Unilite, coil, fuel
pump, Tri-Y headers, 2 1/2 "
custom pipes, 3 chamber
Flows, stock C-4, 3.25
Currie built 8" rear,
March under drive pulleys,
13.97 e.t., 100.1 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2000, 11:34 AM   #5
Snakeman
Registered Member

actually, I may be too late

someone stopped by his house, saw the car and said "it's sold!" without ever hearing a price...

Everything has been cleand, primered, and ready to paint from what I gather... All the chrome has been redone, the engine is not the original, but is the right year/code. It is a 289 (not K code), nothing special, really. Just an ORIGINAL-OWNER well cared for, garaged coupe.

Maybe the guy that offered to buy it will back out...

My wife will actually let me do this...!

OH, No, I have never done any restoration work. I guess there is a first time for everyone who undertakes something new. Never scared me away!

Naive?

moi?

I wrote that post over a year ago; from today's perspective, I would have to agree. Let's just say I have more dollars than sense!

------------------
Rob Wegner
90LX

[This message has been edited by Snakeman (edited 07-29-2000).]
Old 07-29-2000, 09:11 PM   #6
Rev
Registered Member

Let me get this straight? You waited a year and three months on this car that you thought you really wanted? If you were really interested, you'd have delved into this a little sooner I would think. If it's not really gone and you're serious, you need to check thoroughly on the car and make a quick but thoughtful offer. Anyone disagree?

Rev
Old 07-29-2000, 10:26 PM   #7
Snakeman
Registered Member

Quote:
...You waited a year and three months on this car that...
guess I just might have a clue as to how much hassle it will be, eh?

------------------
Rob Wegner
90LX
Old 07-29-2000, 10:44 PM   #8
Rev
Registered Member

Snakeman, you must admit, that's a long time.

Rev
Old 07-30-2000, 01:21 AM   #9
Snakeman
Registered Member

Question

and why, may I ask, must I admit any such thing?

my daughter is 15 months old. seems like she was a fetus just yesterday...

Gee!

Coincidence?

I think not!
Old 07-31-2000, 01:25 PM   #10
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

I say make a reasonable offer and go for it if it's still available. If the car has been sitting around for long time the guy is probably getting ancy to get rid of it. If you have the money and spending it won't create a hardship then go for it. Many people might disagree with that statement, but restoring cars 99% of the time is not a pofit business. It is a labor of love. I wouldn't spend any more than a few thousand($1500 maybe?)and be prepared for many more expenses in the future - but hey it's supposed to be fun. If you do buy it, buy it to keep and not to sell it later for cash. Like you say, sometimes the best way is to just jump in head first. It can be a great learning experience - good or bad.

Good luck

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
Splitfire plugs (they were free - don't laugh).
K&N, removed air silencer (more to come)
Next up: 3:73's and side exhaust
www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?258
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2000, 10:35 AM   #11
Snakeman
Registered Member

Thumbs up

True...

Every time i watch Barrett-Jackson, the people always have twice as much into the cars as they're worth...

Definitely a losing proposition.

I'll keep that in mind if I do make an offer on it.

I don't have a garage, so it isn't such a wise idea, but when has that ever stopped me?

I'll keep you guys posted
Old 08-01-2000, 11:15 AM   #12
Stefan
Registered Member

Cool

I don't have a garage either, but that hasn't stopped the slow progress on my 66. Some extra elbow grease comes into play to keep them clean but it can be done. In fact my 96GT sits right next to the 66 in the driveway soaking up all the weather that Kansas has to offer and still got a first place trophy at the last show I went to.

Get it, redo it, and drive the hell out of it. That's what these cars were made for.

Stefan

------------------
66 Standard coupe
200 inline 6 - Pertronix ignition, Flamethrower Coil, K&N, Clifford Perf. 6 into 2 headers, Holley carb, three row radiator

96 GT Convertible
Splitfire plugs (they were free - don't laugh).
K&N, removed air silencer (more to come)
Next up: 3:73's and side exhaust
www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?258
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 09:56 PM   #13
Rev
Registered Member

If you could get it now and start right to work on it, just maybe, you could have it ready for your daughter's 16'th birthday. LOL.

Rev
Old 08-03-2000, 12:24 PM   #14
Snakeman
Registered Member

gee, rev, I dunno why you want to bust my chops like that?
I guess I was rude to you sometime before...
not unlikely...
I can be a total @$$hole sometimes...

The car sold for $3500, the price of the new parts. The guy is picking it up this weekend.

I doubt that I would have paid that much. I would have had to trailer the car from L.A. (about 500 miles). He!!, I never even saw the car. can't say I'm disappointed.

I have about 16 hours/day that is free, so I sriously doubt that a buildup would take me 16 years (barring machine shops losing my parts, etc.)...

HIRE someone to look at a car for me. you have to be joking! I don't pay anyone turn wrenches for me, why on earth would I want to hire someone to look at a few boxes of parts that I am fully capable of evaluating on my own? Especially an early stang! there isn't really that much to them, compared to today's fuel-injected cars.

I sure as hell didn't have an extra $3500 a year ago. I do now, but I think it would be better used to help on a down-payment on a house (with a garage!).

Once I have my garage, I'll go spend $1500 on a trashed 60's coupe and resto-mod the mo-fo!

------------------
Rob Wegner
90LX
Old 08-04-2000, 04:16 PM   #15
Rev
Registered Member

Sorry Snakeman, maybe I came on too criically. I seriuosly apologize. I was just suprised at time from one post to the other. I parked my '66 from 1978 until 1995 because it was worn out and I didn't have time or money to restore it. It had rats nesting in it when I finally got around to doing anything. I should be the last to criticize for procrastination. Again, I apollogize for being offensive. I just didn't think you were serious. My mistake. Hope you find another old Mustang to restore.

Rev
Old 08-04-2000, 06:23 PM   #16
Snakeman
Registered Member

hey, its cool, rev...

i tend to be like a snake. Totally mellow until i get poked at or cornered, then, look out!

heheheh!