MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-14-2003, 05:30 PM   #1
RoushRacing6N17
Registered Member

Default EFI to Carb question

I've been thinking about going from EFI to Carb on my 88 stang. The car is pretty much stock right now except for 3.73s and a complete exhaust (longtubes, h pipe, no cats, flowmasters). If I swap from EFI to a Carb setup and use the Edelbrock Air Gap intake, a good carb somewhere between 570-670cfm, and put in a low/mid range cam, do you think I will gain horsepower? And if so how much? I also opted for the low range cam because of the torque loss that comes with switching to the carb setup, but i would really like to have a big rumpity rump cam in it, any info on cam selection to make this thing get up and move would be helpful too. Also all of the other stuff that you have to get for this conversion like ignition and such will be aftermarket so any recommendations on those things would be helpful. thanks
RoushRacing6N17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 07:21 PM   #2
Mean50
Registered Member

Go to Fletch's Carb 5.0 (www.jason.fletcher.net) and go to the efi to carb conversion page. It is very detailed and will tell you the answer to many of your questions.
306, 10:1 compression, ported 351W heads (2.02-1.60 valves), Victor Jr. intake, 750cfm double pumper, MSD ignition, 1 5/8" full length headers, Flowmaster 2 1/2" American Thunder Cat back system, C-4, 3500 stall, 4.10 gears, 5" Auto Meter Shift Light
Mean50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 07:23 PM   #3
RoushRacing6N17
Registered Member

I have gone there, thats where I got all the info on everything that i need to do the conversion, i was just looking different opinions.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:59 AM   #4
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

I did the swap in my 86. I noticed a considerable gain in horsepower, but I also made some other mods that may have made that too. I'm still relatively new to carb tuning, and that makes tuning a Demon really interesting. Don't let anyone tell you that a carb'd car can't be tuned for fuel economy, power, and driveability. They were after all, on every car until the mid-80's.

Igntion, go with a stock distributor from an 85GT (5-speed). It'll have vacuum advance, and a steel gear. Use an MSD, Crane, some good aftermarket box for ignition. Coil is your choice, I matched my MSD6AL with a Blaster coil, works nicely, with my MSD Distributor (POS but it works).

What are you going to run for a fuel pump and line? I'd suggest the Aeromotive street rod pump (way better than the Holley ones), regulator, and 3/8" or 1/2" line. You'll have to make your own pickup or sumped tank tho.

If you go with a 570-670 Street Avenger you'll find good performance and economy, but I'd suggest a 650 double pumper Holley. That'll really work well with an Air Gap (same one I'm running) intake. You'd still have some good bottom end, but 3,000 and up, it'll take off. As for cam, well I'm not sure what to advise you on. Assuming stock heads, there's not too much advantage over a stock cam (which you can advance/retard) for more power. With exhaust, gears, etc. Air Gap, 650 DP, stock cam moved 4* (not sure advance or retard, someone please chime in), you'll be happy with the results.

Hope all that helps.