MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-24-2000, 07:59 PM   #1
autopimp187
Registered Member

Post has anyone glass beaded there car, or....

is it a good idea to glass bead my car to get the old paint off, is it bad for the car???
autopimp187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2000, 08:16 AM   #2
driggins
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Yes I am but only the removeble parts. The body I am using a disk sander only becuase I don't want that crap in places hard to get out. Some say that it blows holes in your car. If it does that, then good, because if you don't replace it now you will latter.

------------------
66' coupe
http://www.my66stang.stangnet.com
driggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2000, 09:42 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

I hate to say it, but this seems like a "a no brainer". Get the "F"ing metal clean first and foremost, and then, do your own body and paint work. If you don't know how, do what I did and buy 4-6 books. This is what I did. Took me 6 weeks of week ends, and still lookerd only O.K., not too bad for a lot of work and $1500 though. Body and paint men earn their money, but most do it fast without any thought to longevity. What most of us in the hobby want is high quality-long term restoration. Not to knock the Pro's, but most have to make a buck on th hourly basis.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, windage
tray, TRW flat tops, 351W
heads,pocket ported, 268
CC hydraulic cam, R tip
R's, Edelbrock Performer,
600 CFM Holley vac. secs.,
Mallory Unilite, coil, fuel
pump, Tri-Y headers, 2 1/2 "
custom pipes, 3 chamber
Flows, stock C-4, 3.25
Currie built 8" rear,
March under drive pulleys,
13.97 e.t., 100.1 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2000, 11:35 PM   #4
autopimp187
Registered Member

i do not know how i do not have the tools, and i am only 16 so please just answer my question i did not know about it
thanks
Old 06-07-2000, 09:03 AM   #5
btr
Registered Member

I don't know about glass bead, but a friend sand blasted his truck back in high school and the metal ended up all wavy. It also pitted the glass where the sand hit it.
btr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2000, 02:47 PM   #6
John Z
Registered Member

Talking

In the good old days when heavy gage metal was used, sand blasting was the fast way to remove paint. With the thinner metal used now, there is a problem with warping of the metal, so plastic media is used instead of sand. Unfortunately, this is a professional equipment process. If your going to farm the job out, expect a bill in the range of $700 - $1000.
Good luck.
John Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2000, 11:20 AM   #7
dbotone
Registered Member

I have a car I bought from Houston that has a some rust underneath, although the undercoating has done a good job of protecting most of the construction. Much of the front end stuff had some rust also. I have a friend who has glass beaded some of the smaller parts (light buckets, brackets).

What I have learned so far is that there are varying sizes of beads, as well as various materials besides glass to blast with. We used a fine glass bead on the smaller parts and there was no noticeable metal loss, although it took longer.

As far as the body goes, I hope to strip it down and have it blasted (it is the only long term solution). There are a couple of body shops where I live that do restoration work and they rent the equipment from time to time. If you can get with someone like that and get scheduled in, it may become affordable. Good luck.
dbotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2000, 05:52 PM   #8
autopimp187
Registered Member

the guy is going to charge me 1200-2000 for glass beading minor body work(replacing rear quater panel, fixing small dents, replacing driver side floor panel, pulling out dent in rear) priming and painting, is this pretty good???? i think it is i was looking at 1200 for body work from another guy