MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-11-2000, 04:03 PM   #1
behrend
Registered Member

Post 65 convertible gas tank

Can anyone tell me if the gas tank on a 65 Mustang convertible is unsafe in the event of a rear-end collision. A friend of mine told me that it is no different than the Pinto's problem.
behrend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2000, 11:17 PM   #2
thunderbolt
Registered Member

That is the rumor. Many aftermarket mustang parts places are offering drop in cells to replace the tank or plate shielding to protect the passanger compartment. But imho, if you are going to drive it regularly you need to upgrade many of the safety features, not just the gas tank.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2000, 11:58 PM   #3
Mo65
Registered Member

Unhappy

I am afraid your friend is right.There has been several special report on rear end colisions on Mustangs. Where fuel reaches the passenger compartment and ignites on fire.
I own a 65 Mustang coupe. Today I purchased the trunk and seat divider. Aftermarket manufacturers came out with a sheet metal divider that it is suppose to prevent from fuel reaching in to the passanger compartment. However, I bought the cheesy old school, cardboard type. Let's hope I don't get into a rear end collision.
The fact is that Classic mustangs are real unsafe. They provide with no shoulder seat belt. Seats have no neck support, in the event of a whip slash, you are pretty much screwed. Classic Mustangs have no airbags. A standard brake system sucks, etc.
Last time I was talking to my mom and I told her how the 65 Mustang is so unsafe and how I was afraid to drive it sometimes. She told me that that is the chance I must take. She said that any car can be unsafe. She recalled the Princess Diana's automobile accident. Princess Diana was riding an
S-Class full size, late model Mercedez Benz, with all the saftey features, and that did not prevent her from not getting killed.
It is the chance we take every time we drive our classic Mustang. We can't help it but we love our death traps. Don't we.

------------------
Moises Plasencia
Mo65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: