MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-29-2000, 11:36 PM   #1
LuvMyStang
Registered Member

Question 65 front-end drop

Hey guys, I'm thinking about doing the 1" front-end lowering on my 65 soon. I've got a horendous squeaking coming from the right side which I'm pretty sure is coming from the upper A-frame bushing. I'm sure this is an age-old question, but how difficult is it to change out the bushing? Anything to watch out for? Which type of bushing is the quietest, longest-lasting, most responsive, etc.? Thanks for playing.

Torrey
LuvMyStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2000, 10:14 AM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Torrey,
Visit this website http://thecarsource.com/shelby/restore/lowering.html This will take you through the whole lowering process. It is not difficult but will take some time, the most dangerous thing is the springs, don't get careless use a good compressor. Have you ever done any work on the ball joints or tie rod ends? The reason I ask is there are some tricks on removing these parts and also expect to replace more than the bushings once you get it tore down. As far as the bushings go it's not how good they are it's how good you keep them greased!

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2000, 02:02 PM   #3
LuvMyStang
Registered Member

Hey Clark, thanks for the advice. I notice you're from Rowlett. Do you know of any mustang clubs in your area? I know of the North Texas Mustang Club, but I'd like to find something a little further east than Irving. I had my upper and lower control arms replaced by a shop about 3 years ago. I replaced my inner and outer tie rods and idler arm myself about 6 months ago. What other items besides the bushings would need to be replaced? I'd like to have all parts ready before I start since this will be a weekend project and as you probably know Dallas Mustang closes at noon on Saturday, hehe. Thanks again...

Torrey
LuvMyStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2000, 03:24 PM   #4
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Torrey,
It sounds like you've got most of the items covered. The only thing I would consider besides the bushings is take a look at the shocks, spring perches and spring insulators on top of the springs. Did you have grease fittings installed on the control arm bushings? If you don't get some 90 degree one's they make for them.
No, the north dallas club is the closest one I know of and being from rowlett that's not next door to me either.
I use Dallas mustang parts, but be careful these guys charge too much for some items because they are the only local place in town.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2000, 10:34 PM   #5
66fastback
Registered Member

Well, since we have a little Dallas thing going here....

Clark is right on with his advice, as usual. But I would like to expand on his wisdom just a bit.

The most common causes of front end squeaking on these cars is #1 the upper A-arm bushings, which you have already replaced with the new A-arms, and #2 the spring perches, which Clark already mentioned.

Most people don't realize that the squeak can come from the perches. After all these years the rubber gives out and you get metal rubbing on metal. The dead give away on this is the squeak goes away when it rains, and returns as soon as the perches dry out.

Of course, it's been a long dry summer around here, and you probably haven't had many chances to get the car wet!

The long winded moral to this story is to go ahead and replace those spring perches when you are doing the upper A-arms. I was frustrated by this very thing on my old 67 for years before seeing the problem and screaming "DOH!"

------------------
66 GT Fastback 5.0, 5-speed, cable clutch, JBA's, 3.40 gears, EFI coming soon?

66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote