MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-15-2001, 12:29 AM   #1
Ken Hanvey
Registered Member

Exclamation 65 Ignition?

HELP! Have a '65 original w/200ci six banger, that has intermitant misfire. Runs better at idel than at +/- 2K rpm. Fuel system good, spark appears to be good. Anyone with experience with the vacuum advance on distributor? I suspect that could be my problem. Yes?
Ken Hanvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 02:18 AM   #2
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Is this car driven daily and this just happened one day? Or does it sit and now it does this?

Hows the gas,old?

Point gap.

Get a timing light and see if timing advances when the RPM's go up. If so, vac advance working.

No light? Engine off pull the dist. vacum hose from the engine and suc on it. You should feel a resistance. If you take the cap off you should be able to see some movement.

Lots of miles? Maybe timing gear is going. Grab the bottom pulley and turn back and forth. Checking for,"Slop."

I would start for the carb next.
mustangII460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 09:52 PM   #3
Ken Hanvey
Registered Member

Talking

Thanks for your quick reply! Car is driven daily, and typically runs well. Gas is good, name brand, fresh, etc. I suppose someone could have put something in the tank (unlocked cap), but doubtful.

Had a recent carb rebuild, then a tune up, and was told that they "couldn't get it to run rich enough". It ran fine prior to that.

Neat trick with the vacuuum hose on vac advance diaphram. It has steel line, so I'll have to rig something up. Great idea.

Has many miles, but I believe the engine has been rebuilt, with est. +/- 80K miles on it. The problem occurred too fast to suspect timing chain. I'll check that as well.

You've given me good places to start. I suppose the carb rebuild could also be insufficient, or the carb could simply be worn out.

If you think of anything else, I'd appreciate a note.

Thanks again.
Old 02-16-2001, 01:23 AM   #4
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Check this site out to see if they make a Ignitor for your 200 six. http://www.pertronix.com
These things work great. If they got one for your motor it replaces the points. Nothing else has to be changed,unless you want somthing more. You will have the performance of electronic ignition without all of the other parts involved. Cost around $50.00.

mustangII460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 09:35 AM   #5
Jaydee
Registered Member

Enthusiastically agree with putting in the Pertronix. Fiddled with the dual points in my HiPo for 2 years to get the car to idle and run right and after installing the Pertronix a lot of the cars bad habits went away - IMO, the best $60 you will spend on your car

------------------
1965 K code coupe - numbers matching - restoration ongoing. 1987 LX notch, stock heads and intake, 3.55's and typical bolt on's 13.89@100.25
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 10:01 AM   #6
Stefan
Registered Member

Thumbs up

First off, definately grab a Petronix setup. I have it for the 200 in my 66. I also run the Flamethrower coil from them. I have also heard that the original autolite carbs can be a tad unreliable upon rebuild. I kept mine (as I can never throw anything away) but I have a Holley 1bbl installed right now and it made a world of difference. How do your plugs look? You said your fuel delivery is good - is you fuel filter the original canister type? I just have an inline installed on mine right before the carb and it works great. Nonetheless, it's bound to be something simple.
Keep us posted.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
Both are slow but easy on the eyes!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2001, 10:26 AM   #7
Brian Browning
Registered Member

Hi Ken,
My 289 was doing the exact same thing (running fine at idle missing at highwer RPMS). I put the Petronix kit in last weekend. Problem eliminated, as simple as that. Took about 20 minutes and I'm way slow.
Good luck
Brian Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 07:54 PM   #8
Ken Hanvey
Registered Member

Thanks guys, The trick was a new Vacuum Advance module. It now runs great once again. The Pertronix ignition system is a good tip, and will be installed shortly.