MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
bailey_57
Registered Member

Default 65 mustang fastback question?

Ok I know i'm not a body man, and i tried for a short while and recognize my limitations. With that being said i was looking for anybody with experience to give me a ballpark figure if they have any clue. Sorry no picks right now and i can't supply any for awhile so use your imagination. here's what the shell needs, floors, rocker panels, rear wheel wells, trunk and rear frame rails, a full quarter attached, and at the front of the car subframes shock towers and firewall are solid but i need the aprons replaced. Does anybody with experience in this area know what ball park i'm looking at spending to fix. Some people have told me don't waste your time, but the car is a sentimental thing so i can't get rid of it. Anyone with advice would be of great assistance. again i'm basically wondering what i'd have in redoing the body. everything else i'll put back in myself if it only involves wrench turning. Thanks.
performer rpm intake, performer rpm cylinder heads, fms e-303 cam, kirban adj fp regulator, holley 65mm tb, harland sharp 1.6 roller rockers, alum driveshaft, 3.73 gears (283 rwhp, 303 rwtq new numbers with new heads)
bailey_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
dav65mus
Registered Member

Default Re: 65 mustang fastback question?

It is very hard to say, but from all the hours involved in a good shop to replace all of that sheetmetal right, you would be looking at $8k-$12k where I live. That is if you can find a good shop willing to take on a project that involved nowadays...... most shops won't touch classic car restoration, they only do insurance work...... and some specialty restoration shops could be even higher.

Add in a high end paintjob and it gets really high dollar quickly.

Good luck
dav65mus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #3
bailey_57
Registered Member

thanks for the reply i've got a couple places in mind plus CJ Pony Parts is within driving distance, so thats an option too. I was just curious what i need to look into saving before i go talk to people. I don't want to waste time for shops that i might want to use but i also don't want some a hole telling me 30grand. I had a guy come to my house thats been begging to buy the car sight unseen for years, he shows up to my house under the assumption that he was willing to restore it for me now that he knows i refuse to sell. He told me it should go to the crusher and its unsaveable.
performer rpm intake, performer rpm cylinder heads, fms e-303 cam, kirban adj fp regulator, holley 65mm tb, harland sharp 1.6 roller rockers, alum driveshaft, 3.73 gears (283 rwhp, 303 rwtq new numbers with new heads)
bailey_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
bmxmon
Registered Member

I would say its worth something, dont crush it. Check out ebay, there are some horrible fastbacks that go for some crazy prices on there. Either way body work isnt cheap, your best bet would be to find a bodyman that's willing to take it on as a weekend project. Would take longer, but should be cheaper in the end. Good luck.