MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-03-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
Devine65GT
Registered Member

Default 65 mustang wont start

hey guys i am having a problem with starting the car wont even click i replaced the solinoid and now the car wont even try to turn over. i checked and i have everything from the firewall forward but still getting nothing when i change the ignition and starter wires it will try to start but dosent stop the starter when i turn the key. any ideas?
Old 12-04-2007, 05:20 AM   #2
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: 65 mustang wont start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devine65GT View Post
hey guys i am having a problem with starting the car wont even click i replaced the solinoid and now the car wont even try to turn over. i checked and i have everything from the firewall forward but still getting nothing when i change the ignition and starter wires it will try to start but dosent stop the starter when i turn the key. any ideas?
I guess im a little confused... Does it turn over at all? What do you mean by "stop the starter when i turn the key"? As in it wont stop turning over when you turn the key off? What exactly are your changing when you "change the igintion and starter wires"?
First thing make sure your battery is fully charged. Sounds dumb but if its been sitting for awhile it could be dead. Did you try bypassing the solenoid? You can use a pliers, touch the handles on opposite sides of the solenoid. Should jump the starter. Make sure your wires are hooked up properly to the solenoid.
Another thing to keep it mind is that if it turns over, all you need is air, spark and fuel to make it fire (or backfire, depending on your timing) If you think of it that way, go through and check them off its usually pretty easy to figure out why its not starting. Anyway best of luck, should be able to offer more advice once your question is clarified a little more.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
Devine65GT
Registered Member

ok it turns over but dosent stop turning over till i pull the batt cable i have replaced the solenoid and the ignition switch i have the wireing digrams for the solenoid and it is hooked up correctly i jumped the solenoid and its fine but when i hook the ignition and starter wires up to it and turn the key it wont stop till i pull the batt cable. something is wired up wrong and i cant seem to see where. i have tried everything that i can think of. if i reverse the wires the starter and the motor spins all by its self key or no key.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
Devine65GT
Registered Member

is their any reason why the wire that was supose to go to the coil from the firewall harness would be going to the solenoid and the ignition wire would be going to the coil, why would they be reversed? when i hook the wires up the right way i get nothing at the starter and when i hook them up backwards the starter doesn't stop spinning the motor till i pull eaither the of the small gauge wires from the solenoid or the positive terminal.

Last edited by Devine65GT; 12-04-2007 at 05:28 PM..
Devine65GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
bmxmon
Registered Member

Looking through a wiring diagram it doesnt seem like it would matter. The one I have shows the red/green wire going to the positive side of the coil and the brown one going to the solenoid as merging into the pink wire at the firewall, which then seems to turn into the red/green wire going to the C on the ignition switch. The red/blue wiring, coming from the S on the ignition switch, is the one Im guessing your having problems with. It goes directly to the solenoid. I looks like its the one that triggers the solenoid to allow the juice to get to the starter. There is also a constant, from the C on the ignition switch, a yellow wire. It turns into black/yellow by the time it gets to the firewall and goes to the battery side of the solenoid. That could also cause problems. I will attach the diagram im using, study it over and hopefully it will make more sense.
Im by no means an electrician, or anything close. Its also been awhile now since I've had to mess with my solenoid or any of that other stuff. I have been planning on re-wiring my mustang, so I have been doing some reasearch. Im actually going to get these diagrams blown up and put on some heavy paper for better reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiringdiagramleftpage.jpg (357.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg wiringdiagramrightpage.jpg (316.0 KB, 11 views)