MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-10-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
Blinky Bill
Registered Member

Default 66 Ingnition bezel - ahhhg

Hi guys,

Almost bare shell now but having a real hard time getting the igniton switch out. I know the books say put a paper clip in the hole and key to Acc and then pull. Hahaha. No way does this make any difference other than spinning it around. I have good access as the harness is almost out as well as the w/screen and dash pad. I dont wont to break it so are there any tricks to this other than having as many arms as Squidward.

This is holding me up. Next step crow bar.

The plan is to hand sand the roof before going to the bead blaster as I have been told and seen some warped hoods from too much heat. Interesting that this 66 emberglo coupe has no rust and that the under side of the dash and firewall were never painted or even undercoated. Was this common or was mine built on a Friday afternoon? There is just a slight cover of surface rust - amazing. I would think they must have suffered badly from rot here if the screen leaked or you were in humid conditions. Mine is apparently a San Francisco car.

Thanks
Clinton
Brisbane
Australia

Last edited by Blinky Bill; 04-10-2007 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: spelling
Blinky Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
Blinky Bill
Registered Member

Default Re: 66 Ingnition bezel - ahhhg

No replies...... so I can (after much swearing) now let anybody who wants to know is that the 'books' fail to tell you that you need to remove the small nut that clamps an electrical wire to the switch. Even though this nut does not appear to have any structural purpose it holds the tumbler case under a pressure which will not allow for the ignition barrel to be removed otherwise. When you release that nut the whole thing just slides apart easily.

Blinky Bill
66 Mustang emberglo coupe
39 Plymouth
42 Willys Jeep
43 Willys Jeep
52 Ford Anglia
53 Standard
62 Mini
Blinky Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: 66 Ingnition bezel - ahhhg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky Bill View Post
...I can now let anybody who wants to know is that the 'books' fail to tell you...
I've found that the books seem to really suck the more detail your going for. There is another post about the headlight spring and where it goes, I tried looking it up in my chiltons guide, only to find an exploded view which was lacking serious detail. Good job on figuring it out anyway, sometimes you just gotta swear until it comes apart!